SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coralb_gw

Giants in Barrels or spinout bags?

coralb
13 years ago

Hi all,

I have a large dreaded silver maple under which nothing will grow. It is a big blank space in my garden. I would love to utilize this space to grow some very large hostas. I realize I cannot plant directly in the ground or the maple roots will kill the hostas. As far as I can figure I have 2 options.

One is using spin-out bags. I am a little reluctant to do this. I am wondering if these would be large enough to accomodate a very large mature hosta like empress wu, t-rex, sum& substance and its sports? To be honest if they are large enough to accomodate a mature giant hosta I am not excited about the prospect of digging a hole that big among the maple roots. Heck, I am not sure I could actually do it.

The other option would be to plant them in 1/2 barrels. This would be much easier on the front end but I wonder if this will work long term. I would grow the hostas in containers in a sunny-ish location for a few years so they could get some meat on their bones. I would then plant them in barrels. I live in NC so overwintering will not be a problem as long as I cover them. My concern is that I would need to change out the potting soil every 2-3 years. Does anyone really do this with a mature very large plants? Also, wouln't constantly uprooting/replanting stunt the plant's growth? Can a hosta live in the same container for years without messing with it?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, especially from folks who have succeeded or failed with either of these.

Comments (7)