SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wwjdfakb

Yikes, moving maybe?

wwjdfakb
16 years ago

Oi, this is such a rotten time of year for this. But chances are I am going to be moving from Indy to South Carolina within the next 60 days. I have just over a hundred named daylilies that I'll need to take with me (not to mention my seedlings) and I'm wondering if anyone has ever done something similar or has any good suggestions for transporting them.

The ground here is not frozen yet and likely won't be for a few weeks. Getting them out is not a problem, and they'll be thrilled once they get a full dose of SC sunshine and mountain air. But I can't imagine that uprooting them could possibly be good for the plant right now. When I dig them, can I clean the dirt off, divide, and trim the leaves as I would any other time of the year, or do I need to treat them more gingerly in what's supposed to be their dormant season? And if so, should DOR, EV, and SE be treated differently than the others?

I appreciate any advice, I'm starting to panic about the possibility of leaving my collection behind.

Comments (11)