SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura1_

'Those tacky macrame hangers!'

laura1
16 years ago

I am too cheap to buy hangers so I started making them. In an effort to get the most from my space I made a couple of double hangers. I figure that if I ever want them out of the macrame hanger I'll take sissors to the macrame!

Comments (48)

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Laura, I love those! What a great idea, and it looks so good. Do you sell those by any chance??
    Gabi

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Those double hangers would work for me as well, right now i just hang the bottom plant, in its plastic pot with a plastic hanger, hooked on the macrame at the bottom of the top pot. Then, since I have alot of little hoyas in 4" hanging pots, I hang one or two of those from the rim of the bottom pot.

Years ago I knew how to make them, do you have any patterns or directions? It isn't that they are very expensive, just that the ones in the stores are sooooo mostly made from nylon, ugly, big poufy tassles and all....I saw on some forum somewhere a girl, she may have been into hoyas, had beaded plant hangers, made with clear and colored crystal type beads. They were so pretty, but I think she stopped making them.

• Related Discussions

want spider plant babies

Q

Comments (3)
    I have 2 solid green i can send you,my plant is still young and doesn't have many babies yet.
    ...See More

Homemade Plant Hangers

Q

Comments (13)
    Hello everyone.. I've been macrameing plant hangers since I was in jr.high..You can come up with some pretty cool ones with a lil imagination.. I made a double one yrs ago..It had a branch about 3"around at the top then about 12" down another branch close to same size. In the middle of the branches I macramed a spider web with spider sitting in the middle of it. 1 hanger hung on one side of the bottom branch, the other from the other side of the bottom branch a lil longer than the first.. It was very nice..Alot of people only use the basic knot, but there are plenty of other knots you can add to the mix and come up with some unsual plant hangers..I also macramed my son-n-law a hammock one yr for christmas.. Made plant hangers that you hung one plant on top of the other..they can hold same size pots,or start with a small one on top, med size in middle and larger on the bottom,or you can make them to hold 2 pots one on top of the other,pot size is up to you. Just wanted to share my macrame story.would like to see pics of the crocheted ones..Sherri
    ...See More

For folks who remember macrame...

Q

Comments (15)
    Oh yes, I remember macrame. One year, I got on a kick of making Christmas wreaths using macrame cord. They were simple and turned out absolutely gorgeous but making them was really hard on the fingers. I bought the wire wreath frames at a craft store, then looped all of these short cut pieces of cord onto the frame. Then, I combed each piece out to make it nice and fluffy. They were actually so pretty that people wanted to buy them. We were as poor as church mice that year. I was a stay-at-home mom with three little boys, so the money really came in handy. Thanks for this reminder. I hadn't thought of those wreaths in years. And yes...those were the good days!!!
    ...See More

Hangers?

Q

Comments (19)
    I use the fuzzy coated ones from Target, they don't take up a lot of room, clothes don't slip off. I saw them at Costco which I will buy when I see them again. I hate the tubular. DH pulls on his trousers and they get a sag, then everything falls off. They also take up too much room on the rod. I hate the wire (purchased) ones as they get lost in the closet, the cleaners wire hangers get returned to the cleaners, haven't found any other place that will take them. I will still use the plastic hangers with the sliding pinchers for my "coordinated" outfits. I used to buy the wooden ones for suits and coats but now have more than I need and they just take up too much room. Can you tell, my closet is still a mess.
    ...See More
  • gabro14
    16 years ago

That's actually a good idea too Ines, to hang a plastic hanging plant from the bottom of the macrame holder. Good, now I have room for some more hoyas :)

• User
    16 years ago

I don't think these look so tacky; am curious Laura what are you making them from? I can't put hooks in my place (ceilings too tall for me to reach), otherwise I might want some myself.

Here's my next question, don't they drip water all over the floor when you water?

For any interested parties who don't already know this, they'd be best made from synthetic yarn/cord/rope like nylon or acrylic (like one would use for knitting baby clothes). If made from natural fibers, over time, w/ moisture they'll rot.

• laura1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

These are made from some sort of natural fiber...I used what I could find. Macrame isn't exactly "in" so finding supplies is next to impossible. I made some of jute (?) and others are made from what looks like a cotton fiber. I couldn't find synthetic.

I also so use hooks to hang smaller pots off the sides/bottom of larger pots.

I don't use a pattern I just use the knot that I learned in Girl Scouts and later used in the 70s macrame boom.

• notanatural
    16 years ago

I use them too- off and on- I'm obviously not right in the head coz it never occured to me to put a saucer in it as well. I'd just put the pot in the macrame hanger and when I watered, I'd move the trash can underneath it so water could drip out.

I have a few jute ones that I found at a hardware store but it's really hard to find the nice looking ones. I agree, most I see are the 'tacky' kind. I wish I knew how to make them. i remember doing a search for them online some time back and it came up with lots of instructions and kits in the search results.

• User
    16 years ago

Well, silly me never even noticed that Laura's got the saucer in the hanger right below the pot where it belongs. What a great idea, gee, I may have to start thinking abt doing this myself. As it is, I already have pots hanging off the edges of other pots or off the edges of wire baskets the pots are in ... hum ...

Thanks for sharing this great idea w/ us Laura!

• paul_
    16 years ago

For synthetic materials, just go to any place that sells yarn.

I've always used saucers with mine. Never occured to me that someone might put a pot in one w/o a saucer. LOL

Imagine a craft store would have books on macreme ... good chance your local library either has some too or can borrow one from another library.

• sal50
    16 years ago

I make my own macrame hangers. I must have 20. I make them from 6 or 8mm craft cord. They are anything but tacky. I have made some double hangers and put burro's tail in them. They look beautiful. Let me know, I can send you some pictures.

• shiver
    16 years ago

Sal, do you know how to post pics on the forum here? I would love to see what you've created....

• k0okie
    16 years ago

I've made quite a few of these in the last few weeks too. I ran out of room on stands and shelves so I had to start hanging some. I dont really think they are tacky either unless they have big puffy tassles and lots of crap hangin off of them. I make them simple with just a few glass beads on some kinds.

• ines_99
    16 years ago

I think its the 70's style the big frizzy puffs and the tassles and the synthetic fibers in loud colors that we've been referring to as tacky. When made with good quality earthy fibers and tasteful little accents here and there, they are great. I think the thing that you want is for the plant to get noticed first, not the hanger!

Somewhere I saw some made with glass beads, and they were gorgeous! I have a few made from seashells, which are only tacky if you don't live by the ocean, which I don't anymore, so I guess I am tacky. But I plan to live by the ocean again, so I am hanging on to them....besides, did you ever try to unwrap a hoya vine that has been growing around the same hanger for 10 yrs?

I'd love to see some that people here have made, it is very hard to fine nice ones in the stores - even if they are in more subdued colors, they are always made from that synthetic plasticky looking yarn.

• Mentha
    16 years ago

When I read this thread, I was wondering how I could do it with things I already have. I made some out of some heavy boating rope my kids and I found in the river bed. We had to drag it a mile home but it was worth it :) I cut it up into strands about the size of clothes line and used them to make the hanger. No beads, just a few knots here and there, but the problem was my ceiling wouldn't hold them, neither is it high enough, ugh! The cats had fun playing with them.

Another cheaper, more durable way to make them is with the non-synthetic cloth clothes line. It's about $3 for enough to make two, if you're easy on the knots.

• trace00969
    16 years ago

This is a little off topic, but if you want to hang your pots, here is what I do. I use chain, any chain from the hardware store, and use s hooks to slip it into a hole I previously drilled....three holes, three s hooks, then attach them a couple of inches for the pot, and voila a hanging pot! I do this for my smaller 4 inch pots of hoyas, and being they are so light, I can hang them from almost anywhere.

Tracy

• mairzy_dotes
    16 years ago

The trouble with attaching the hanger to the pot in holes on the side is that there is no way to add a saucer to the underneath. I know...there are pots with saucers that are already attached, but those are usually not good enough and also plug up the drain holes too much. I like to SEE how much water comes out the bottom in the saucer.
    The chains and wires are fine for outside, but for the living room, I need a saucer so the macrame sounds like a better idea.
    Marcy

• trace00969
    16 years ago

I have actually done the chain thing with a sturdy plastic drip tray, and then hung the plant in there, so if the tray is what you need, you could do it that way too. I guess it all depends which look you like the most too.

Tracy

• sal50
    16 years ago

OK I was able to post a photo in Photo Gallery under Proud Project. It's the macrame hangers.

• User
    16 years ago

Hi Sal,

In Photo Gallery of what Forum pls? I don't see it at Hoya Photo Gallery above.

• ines_99
    16 years ago

you click on the "proud projects" catagory, it's the picture on the top left

• Denise
    16 years ago

I've got a lot of different hangers I've bought over the years and I really like most of them, even if the color isn't ideal. I've never bought any "loud" colored ones, mind you, but I have all different styles. A few years ago, I bought a big beautiful one on eBay, made of all clear beads and it has an acrylic shelf to set a large plant on. It's stunning!

PG - lucky you! I love high ceilings! You must live in a great old building there in NYC... I have 9' ceilings (not all that high...) and have hooks, and use the decorative chain that comes in many different finishes to bring them down to a manageable height. I use saucers under mine, too, watering carefully until it comes out the drain holes. I let them sit awhile, then use one of those ear irrigation bulbs to remove excess water. The down side of having them hanging in hangers like that is that they're harder to take down to give them a bath with VF-11.

Many of mine hang right in the windows. I put little teacup hooks in the woodwork behind the valance (so you don't see them) centered over each window. Then I hang those EA pots - sometimes, it takes a few links of chain from the teacup hook to get it at exactly the right level. This way, they hang practically against the glass, getting the maximum amount of sun. This works well for the 6" and 8" pots. I'ts my really, really big Hoyas I put in the macrame hangers in a bit from the windows.

Denise in Omaha

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    16 years ago

They are great and DEFINATELY NOT TACKY at all. Your garden/deck area is also stunning!
    Gill.

• mairzy_dotes
    16 years ago

I still can't find "Proud Projects". Is it in the photo gallery? Is it in "other forums"? I can't find it anywhere. I know...I know.. senior moments. Ha Ha
    Marcy

• User
    16 years ago

I can't find it either, not a gallery by that name anyway. Not a senior moment for me (even tho' I just turned 51 a wk ago). I see no such listing anywhere, not even in THS ???? Perplexing.

• ines_99
    16 years ago

ok girls - this is like the blind leading the blind but here we go

#1 - at the top of this page, in the green menu bar, click on PHOTO GALLERIES

#2- It will give you 2 choices - pick GARDEN.

#3- it will bring up a page that has a paragraph in all red type on the right side - this is actually an alphabetical list - Look for PROUD PROJECTS on this list and click on it.

#4- Now you should be on the PROUD PROJECTS page - and it should be the first photo, top left.

If I can do it, ANYONE can do it!!

• shiver
    16 years ago

Well thank you Ines! I couldn't find it either---it was the red paragraph that threw me off. Who knew "proud projects" would be hidden in there?

Sal, the hangers you made are indeed lovely. Many years ago my mother made stunning hangers very similiar to yours. Then she got it in her head that macrame was "dated" and threw them all out. But hers, like yours, were beautifully done and timeless. Excellent work!

• mairzy_dotes
    16 years ago

Thanks Jen...I never would have found that. I never knew it was there. Now I find myself going through ALL the pictures in several of those places.Ha. That one titled sheds is great too.
    Laura...those plant hangers are GREAT. You did a fine job and I wish I could make some that looked that nice. I had a guy from a cactus forum make me one once and I love it, but it seemed to cost a lot for the materials, etc. What does it cost you to make those if you were to buy the materials?
    Marcy

• sal50
    16 years ago

Hi everyone, glad you found my photo in "proud projects". I want to post more, but need to reduce the size of the photos first. I have a bunch more macrames I've made. Does anyone like succulents?

• hills
    16 years ago

I was under the impression that the thicker-leaved hoyas WERE succulent. I could be wrong, of course...
    If they are, then we must all like succulents! My boyfriend seems to believe that I am letting them take over the house... never. Then he tells me I can put a bar behind the sofa to hang them up on - stupid boy. Then I can hang lots!

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Any plant that stores water in it's leaves or stems would be considered a succulent. Even though the most well know succulents are in the cactus catagory, there are many succulents that are not cacti.

I think storing water in the leaves is a survival technique that probably evolved in plants living in dry, arid climates. Since we know that most hoyas come from the rainforests, I would think that because most epiphytic plants grow in the trees with no contact with soil on ground, they probably need to store alot of water in their leaves just in case they need it. I could be wrong, but that makes the most sense to me.

• laura1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I started making my own hangers because I am cheap and the ones in Wal-Mart were ugly (tacky). I can make several hangers out of a ball of twine but I haven't done anything elaborate.

The ones Sal made are beautiful! I know that Sal's are more time consuming and require some planning to have long enough "working" strands. But they have inspired me!

Now, to find the time.

• pat44_grow
    16 years ago

I have been keeping my houseplants on the porch and need to bring them in soon as I live in New England. I have a long bushy swedish ivy and a large spider plant which I want to hang. Plants are currently on a variety of old tables that I found. Previous attempts to put a large plant into a macramé hanger have resulted in broken plants and plants on the floor. How can I get a large heavy plant into a macramé hanger without a plant catastrophe happening?

My cats damaged my spider plant which was on a stand before I put it outside but it has come back nicely since they have stopped eating it. I have hesitated to hang very heavy plants in the house as I fear that one might fall and hurt a cat. However I don't want my plants to be chewed on again. I also want to hang two tropical plants which contain oxalates and are very poisonous to the cats.

• ines_99
    16 years ago

You know how some plants and bouquets of flowers come in those paper sleeves? You could make one out of newspaper and place your plant into it before placing the plant into the hanger, then once the pot is settled in where it needs to be, just tear the sleeve and carefully pull it out and off. If the plant is really big or bushy, you may need to use something more substantial than newspaper, like that brown craft paper people use to wrap packages for the mail.

I have never done this, I just thought of it when I read your post, so I don't know if it will work well, but I think it would. Swedish Ivy is hard to work with, so maybe this will help. Let me know!

• pat44_grow
    16 years ago

I am going to try this. It sounds like a great idea. Thank you and will let you know how it works.

• shiver
    16 years ago

I think the trick to getting plants into hangers is to start with the macrame on the floor. Lay the strings down and spread them out to make a circle---them put your plant in the middle and slowly bring up the stings, being careful not to break any stems. Trying to get a plant into macrame that's already hanging is darn near impossible! ;)

• Denise
    16 years ago

Ines - this is how I transplant largish plants from the awful EA soil into my mix. Remove the hanger from the pot, make a "cone" sleeve around the plant, pull it from the pot and knock the old soil off, then fill the pot with new soil and set it back in. Take off the cone. Ta-da!

Denise in Omaha

• ines_99
    16 years ago

These are not the best photos, but I wanted to show off my new beaded copper wire hangers my hoya friend Michaela sent me from Isreal, she made them herself. Even after the copper turns that greenish color, they will be so pretty.

I had admired one that was in a photo she sent me, and a few weeks later these arrived in the mail as a surprise - I was so touched and so happy to get them! They look great when the morning sun shines thru them. {{gwi:956065}} {{gwi:956066}} {{gwi:956068}}

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Ines,
    Your macrame hangers are very pretty, that was very nice of your friend to send those to you and a suprise at that....
    shanna

• laura1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Very nice Ines! It looks like they took a bit of work to make. You have a very nice friend.

• artur0
    16 years ago

that was very nice of your friend to make those for you.
    what kind of hoya is the one on the right in the first picture? i thought it was a spider plant at first glance

• k0okie
    16 years ago

those are really pretty. What is that hoya in the first picture? the one with the roundish freckled leaves?

• ines_99
    16 years ago

{{gwi:956070}}

Here's a better pic. You can't see them, but there are long leafless vines shooting off in all directions. Grows alot like carnosa. It's a cultivar, called cv Minibelle - I think it is a cross between carnosa and shepherdii - or carnosa x longifolia? I really can't remember. It gets a carnosa-ish flower. I thought it was one of those petite looking hoyas, but some of the leaves can get big. The pot it is in is a 5" or 6" so that gives you some indication of the size. I started it from one cutting last summer and it has grown in spurts, periods of no action and then it goes crazy. No flowers yet, though! I think they are supposed to grow fast and flower young, and it is definately potbound...so I am hoping for flowers this spring or summer coming up.

• k0okie
    16 years ago

Is the one beside it cv. Mathide? Is that the one you were talking about in ur email? It's so cute!

• Mentha
    16 years ago

Wow Jen,
    Those are beautiful! I wonder though with the oxidization and the weight increase of the plant if those might not snap after time though. Also copper is a conductor of electricity. It would be interesting if any static electricity caused by the wire would make the plant decide to unwind from the hangers. just scientific observation.

• ines_99
    16 years ago

yes Kookie, that's cv Mathilde(carnosa/serpens cross) I got that one at the same time I got minibelle, it isn't doing so great right now, had mealies this summer and has been struggling a bit since I treated it. Almost a third of it has died back. I hope I won't lose it.

Interesting observations, Mentha...though the hangers are sturdy, I agree they wouldn't be if these plants got very heavy, but that is probably quite a while down the road. If it happens, I will just switch them to younger and lighter plants. As for electrical conduction, I will remember to stay away from them during a thunder storm..

Everyone have a great thanksgiving!

• 4evrgrn_cox_net
    15 years ago

I am looking for some directions in making macrame jewelry. I know it is a little " out of style" but everything comes back if you wait long enough. Can anyone out there direct me to where I might get started making jewelry?
    Thanks,
    P.S. the basket holders are very pretty, expecially the beaded ones.

• jakalfoshakal
    15 years ago

hi gretchen:
    i got into macrame so that i wouldn't have to buy dog collars anymore.
    i found lots of books in a local hastings, and that is how i learned. they had books on jewlery and books on the larger stuff like plant hangers. just depends what your trying to learn to weave.
    im sure you can find them in the crafts section in any books store.
    jaci

• User
    15 years ago

Try Googling 'macrame jewelry"? Tho' I don't know if you mean it to be made from rope/twine or metal as jewelry would mean to me???

Sponsored