SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
millaray_gw

Hoya -collectors in New Jersey!!

millaray
16 years ago

Hi!

Well this is my first message on this forum, I'm usually in the Swedish ones or in the Spanish ones. I'm a happy collector of Hoyas, I have about 45 species and have been collecting more than one sens 2004. I live in Sweden but I was born i Chile.

I'm going in a few days to New Jersey. And I would like to get in contact with some of you that collect, maybe I could come and visit.

Please write me if you would like to have a Hoya-Fanatic visitor, hehe.

Comments (43)

• millaray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Please, someone

• millaray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'll be staying at Mount Holly

• Related Discussions

Looking for a Hoya Pauciflora or Hoya New Guinea

Q

Comments (10)
    Hey, sorry to bring up this dinosaur thread, but I was toodling around looking up H. pauciflora and found this. I got a few cuttings of this a couple of years ago, and it is my second best grower. No die back or leaf loss. I kept lopping the long vines in two and popping them back in the pot with a smidge of rooting hormone, and now have a full little 4 inch pot that will likely need a 6 inch this year. I have to celebrate my successes with hoyas, as I have a boatload of failures (serpens, curtisii to name a few). Here's what I provide, and it seems to really like it. I grow mine cool and bright. House gets down to 15 or 16 at night (winter temps). It seems to tolerate drying out well, and grows in spurts during the summer and fall. No growth in winter, while my others hoyas give the odd bit of growth. I'm hoping for some flowers and googled what they look like. How lovely!
    ...See More

Back w/ Update on new Hoyas from new laptop

Q

Comments (10)
    Thx EMT, is this how you brought yours back, by cutting & soaking? HI GL, I'd potted up the plant, more than a month ago, but it appears not to be taking up liquid. So, I unpotted it, saw roots at the bottom of the stem & cut some of them off, cutting back the a bit of the bottom stem end to green growth, in btwn some of the roots (still left some). Am trying to get it to drink & plump up. Today, while it doesn't look better, it does feel firmer when I hold the cutting in my hand.
    ...See More

New Hoya cuttings and Hoya sp Irian Jaya #28

Q

Comments (14)
    Paula I think you may have matched the wrong photo up with the caption. Hoya subquintuplinervis does have thick, rigid and similarly veined leaves to my Hoya sp Sulawesi but it was originally collected in Thailand and my plant is from the large island of Sulawesi which is located off of the eastern shore of Kalamantan on the Island of Borneo and below the Philippine islands which apparently most heavily influence the flora of the Sulawesi. I included a map of South East Asia in case anyone wanted to take a look. It is interesting to look up the locations where many of the unidentified Hoya species were collected, Islands like Ambon, Palawan, Haraku and Molukken. Part of determining the proper name for a species lies in the area of it's origin. Some species have a very large range while others are endemic so even though many Hoyas look alike they may in all reality not be as closely related as they appear. Many of the smaller islands are obviously not included on the map but there are several of the ones I mentioned. Mike Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

New Freon Regulations This Year? New Jersey

Q

Comments (1)
    The indoor coil (what you are referring to as the "furnace condenser") and outdoor condenser should be replaced together regardless of what refrigerant type you go with. When you need to replace your air conditioning, just replace the outdoor unit with it's factory matching coil inside with a system using the new refrigerant. January 2010 no new equipment using R-22 refrigerant can be produced, but the refrigerant itself will still be available for years to come.
    ...See More
  • gabro14
    16 years ago

Hi there, and welcome to the forum :)
    I would love to have a "hoya fanatic visitor"!But I'm in NY (Queens)...would be a little bit of a drive for ya. If you're in NY, you're more than welcome to visit!
    Gabi

• millaray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok gabro14, Right now we are three persons..

I was thinking maybe we could meet and have a hoya-talk..or we could all go to Asiatica Nursery.

Maybe there is more people who would like to join us..

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Why don't you send me an email...gabro14@hotmail.com

• millaray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Write me or on this post if you would like to join us.

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Where is Asiatica nursery?

• millaray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Asiatica Nursery
    Address: PO Box 270, Lewisberry, PA 17339

We could all rent a car/minibus and drive .. or something..

• gabro14
    16 years ago

I was going to ask the same question Ines. I actually asked that same question to Millaray in response to her email to me. I'll look it up. Are you thinking of coming?? It would be great to meet you. I can also bring you a little clipping of that H. numm (can't remember the spelling now!) that I got (the one with red coloring). I only have 3 rooted cuttings but I'd be happy to bring you a piece of one.
    Gabi

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Just saw Millaray's post....I guess we were posting at the same time! Yes, now I remember hearing about that nursery. Pennsylvania, huh? That's quite a drive for me....but what the heck. If I go (which is more likely than not), then I can probably pick you guys up on the way, seeing that I have to pass through New Jersey. If you are all located in different directions, maybe we can meet at a rest stop or something and I can drive us all there. I have a big SUV so I can fit 1 person in front and about 4 people in the back (you'll be packed like sardines though!).

• millaray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't mind being packed like sardines ,hehe.

By the way, it was Eddie who suggested Asiatica Nursery :-)

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Oh, well hopefully Eddie will come along! Eddie, if you're reading this....I can't remember when you said you're moving to NY, but if you're here when we go....the more the better!!

• ines_99
    16 years ago

are you sure that isn't Lewisburg? If it is, it's at least a 2 or longer hour drive from west and slightly north of Philadelphia.

What is there? DO they have a website?

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Ok, I found it, it's west of Lancaster, probably about 2hrs west of Philadelphia.

I know this is sudden planning, but when were you all thinking of going? I am swamped with work and school, taking one of those 5 week summer courses where they fit an entire semester into 5 weeks. I study, I take tests, I sleep and eat and study some more and take some more tests and sleep and then study and take some more tests and then study some more. Oh yeah and if I remember, I go to work 2 days a week.

Anyway, not sure it it will work for me THIS TIME, but it depends on the day. I am also broke but I may be able to splurge on one or two. That will be a torture in itself considering the amount they have there!!

• epiforums
    16 years ago

Pure evil. That's what I am. Making suggestions to drive to the middle of nowhere just to see hoyas. Not to mention that it's a nursery, so we'll all burn holes in our wallets.

And it's not even close to any of us!!! But there are 2 things in life that I will drive for. Food and plants.

Broke or now, I even got ines99 to think about cutting class for a day. Just pure evil. Heh.

Imagine the four of us (unless some closet hoya fanatic decides to join us from.... Boston), who have never met, getting into a car, driving past the Amish county to a place that sells little flowers on vines. Can you see the look on the cop's face when he/she pulls us over and we're all holding pots in our laps?

Now on a serious note, we could make this a day trip. Gabi comes from queens, picks me up in Staten Island (along the way to Jersey), and we head to millaray in Mount Holly, which is slightly less than the half point. That would probably be 1.5 hours for Gabi. Then we can hop into millaray's car and go from there, which is about a little under 2 hours. One pitstop is Meadowbrook Farms (http://www.meadowbrookfarm.org), who has an incredible cacti and succulent collection, and possibly hoyas. Or take the slightly more scenic route and stop at Longwood Gardens.

This is all preliminary planning. We may not even do this if our schedules conflict. But it sure is nice thinking about it. ;) We better write Barry about it because he may not even have open house for visitors.

ines99, Lewisberg is the same distance west, but much further north. We would be heading to Lewisberry.

• ines_99
    16 years ago

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Asiatica is not open to the public. I sent an Email asking for directions before I found it in my atlas - there was no Lewisberry listed under Pa towns...anyway, they do have occasional open houses that you have to watch their website for. Unless one of you has an inside connection there, we probably won't get in. I would love to go to Meadowbrook farms though, and that is alot closer, just outside of Philly. They have some hoyas there too, though I am sure not close to the amount Asiatica has. Not sure about Longwood having any but I would imagine they must and I would love to go there, haven't been there in years.

I won't cut class but I will cut work. Thursday, Saturday and Sunday are really the only days I would be able to go. And I am sure we would get along fine and probably have alot of fun doing this. It is very difficult for me to convince anyone to drive even 15 minutes to go look at some plants. And if I did manage to convince someone, within 15 minutes of getting there they would follow me around sighing loudly every 50 seconds to make sure I knew they were ready to leave.

E, what are you doing in Staten Island??? You moved?

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Eddie,

I am just picturing your whole scenario and cracking up. Too funny...getting pulled over with pots in our laps. I'd be up for a road trip...I do them all the time, so with hoyas being the final destination, how could I turn it down???

Eddie, do you know the guy who runs Asiatica? Maybe we can get him to do a small open house.

• millaray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well the date are going to be between the 2/2 - 20/7. For me itÂs better Thursday if I had to chose between Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. I'm up for anything, but I would love to go to Asiatica. If you Eddie do have any connection try convincing them by saying that there is a Swedish girl (Ok I'm 26 but feel like girl of 18) among the people who would like to visit. Who is coming and that I'm a member of the biggest Hoya society (Swedish Hoya Society) and that I have a mission to complete, I have to write a story about them. If you would like some more info write me.

aaa , and about my car, I don't have any I just wrote that we could rent a car together, But if we fit in gabro14s car I don't think we have to rent one, we'll just divide the gasoline cost..or something.. If there is more people who would like to join us we'll rent a car..

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Millaray...I hear ya about the age thing. I always refer to myself as a "girl". Even though I'm 31 I feel like I'm 18...or 12.

I think that might work...explaining that a girl from the Swedish Hoya Society is coming. But who knows. It's worth a try. Come on Eddie, I'm sure you have some pull :)

I don't mind driving at all. The only thing is, I definitely can't go on a Thursday. I work all 5 weekdays, so only a weekend day would work for me. Also, I don't know what 2/2 means, but the only weekend I cannot go in July is the weekend of Friday the 20th. I'm getting poison ivy that weekend instead of hoyas (I'm going camping).

Gabi

• millaray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Then I'll guess it will be on the weekend..
    2/2 means that wrote wrong, hahaha I meant 2/7 (in other words July 2)
    I've just remember that I canÂt the 1/7 or the 7/7 or the 8 of July.

Then the dates we can choose from are:
    16 July
    17 July

• ines_99
    16 years ago

I heard back from them, I had emailed for directions and said what we were planning, they said we could make an appointment to come out for an open house, but it would have to be a weekday and it cannot be in in the month of July. The greenhouse is not set up for shopping, but we can have a look and if we are looking for something in particular, he would try to find it for us.

Weekend days are best for me, so are Thursdays.

• millaray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The thing is that I arrive on the 30 of June. So it's only on the month of July that I can go... :-(

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Oh, that is too bad, he is going to be away and said August would be the time to come. Still, Longwood and Meadowbrook farms are good places to visit, and much closer to Philadelphia. Both are just outside of the city.

• millaray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Then I guess It will be those places we go to.. Anything would be nice as long as I meet hoya-crazy people.. hehe. Then it's just the date we have to decide.

I wrote wrong the dates I was looking for Saturday and Sunday.. So I meant the 14/7 (Saturday) and 15/7 (Sunday) but the 12/7 (Thursday) will be ok too, but gabro14 works on weekdays.

• millaray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Should we consider Sunday before? (8/7-07)

ines_99 and Eddie: I've written you an e-mail..

• ines_99
    16 years ago

the 14th and 15th would be better for me!

• gabro14
    16 years ago

I think I can go either weekend. I don't know if I really want to take such a long road trip if we can't get to Asiatica though. I was really excited about that. I was hoping Eddie could butter the owner up, but since he was already notified about us, that might not be possible. We'll see what happens. Maybe he'll forget about the conversation!

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Gabi, it might still be fun to go, I really wish you would. THe owner of Asiatica is going to be out of the country for the whole month of July (probably buying more hoyas) It would be great to meet you, you would only have to drive an hour or so down here from NY, maybe you could drive down with Eddie, then it wouldn't be so bad?? I have known Eddie for a while thru Epiforums, but have never met him either, we have just traded a few cuttings and talked on the forum. Millaray sounds nice - and interesting - too. We are all around the same age, it should be fun!

Longwood Gardens is beautiful, and Meadowbrook does have alot to see in their greenhouses, hoyas included though I am not sure how many. They sell cuttings too.

Well, think about it, maybe talk to Eddie about carpooling down here.

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Ok...I think you convinced me :)
    My friend's birthday is on Sunday the 15th, but I haven't heard anything yet about plans. So I think I would be available either day.
    I forgot that he'll be away the whole month of July....I guess there's not enough smooth talking that would keep him in town!
    Gabi

• millaray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah,

It look like we are going to meet all of us!!!

Maybe we can decide that we are going to meet either the 14th or 15th, until you Gabro14 know for sure if you friend is going to have a party or not.

Ines_99: Do you think that we have to set a date before you or anyone of us can contact those farms so that they know that we are coming or can we just drop over there without letting them know?

Eddie: Have you been reading this? Is it ok for you? (the plans we're making)

Nuribi: Are you coming too?

Is there anyone else that is interested in meeting us?

• ines_99
    16 years ago

I "spoke" to Eddie at Epiforums and he seems to be open to coming and has no previous engagements, we just need to decide and let him know. I don't think Longwood Gardens needs to know we are coming, they are always open to the public. Keep in mind there is nothing for sale there, they have a website if anyone wants to get an idea of what we will be seeing when we go.

I have an email in to Meadowbrook and will let you all know when I hear back.

• millaray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi!

Well, now I'm in NJ. I brought the cuttings with me ;-)

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Hi! I hope you had a nice trip. I am going to call Meadowbrook this week, I sent them an email but haven't heard back. I found out they are not open on Sundays. I will post when I get more info.

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Welcome :)

• epiforums
    16 years ago

Just getting back online after my move, and am following up on this thread:

Millaray, I just checked my e-mail and have not received anything from you. And welcome to NJ (the "Garden" State)!

• millaray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks!!

Eddie: I just wrote you a long time ago if you would prefer some hoyas, and you never answer me back and so I brought you one that you don't have ;-)

Ines_99: Have you heard from them?

And all of you: Is the Saturday better?

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Sat is better for me, plus Meadowbrook is closed on Sundays. I sent them an email a while ago, they did not get back to me, but i called on Tues and it seems they are closed for inventory until July 9th - I sent another email asking about their hoyas and also left a message, I was not sure you all wanted to go if there are no hoyas, or just the typical ones - though I hear their greenhouse is impressive and they claim to have some rare and unusual plants.
    I don't know the hoya situation at Longwood either, it will be very dissappointing if this turns out to be a hoya-less trip! I tried to search the area to see if there were any other places we could go, with no luck. Maybe eddie knows? Hey, we could always stop at the local Home Depot, show Mallaray what it is REALLY like to shop for hoyas in New Jersey. Ha!

I will let you all know if and when I hear back from Meadowbrook,if I don't hear from them I will call them again on Monday

• epiforums
    16 years ago

Millaray,

Thanks for being so kind. I have written back to you in e-mail so we don't flood this thread with irrelevant postings. This weekend is coming up close, so we should all solidify plans if we are going to meet up.

Eddie

• millaray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't mind if they don't have any hoyas. I just want to meet you.. If you other don't want to go there we could maybe meet up somewhere. (home depot or a house) What time should we meet?

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Hi Guys...I heard back from John at Meadowbrook, I was in my car on the cell when he called and we had a bad connection, but he said he has about 10 different hoyas, and that the only common one was a hindu rope....I didn't get any more than that out of him, and just that if we go on Saturday to let him know what time and he will give us a tour. If anyone wants to check on exactly what hoyas he has, the phone # is: 215-887-8380 I am not sure what his definition of "common" is, and I would have asked if it weren't for the bad connection we had.

I also finally got an email back from someone at the Phila Horticultural Society, I had contacted them last month about any place or any one with alot of hoyas in the area, the woman I emailed had been out of town but she wrote that she had forwarded my request to a few people and maybe I will hear from them before the weekend.

I would love to meet you all even if we just went out to lunch, so I think it is a good idea to solidify our plans in the next day or two. If anyone can't make it, no problem, maybe another time!

I will be in Bucks County (north of Phil.) Friday night and early early Saturday, but can meet somewhere in South Jersey any time Saturday morning.

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Well, I'm 99% sure that I'm able to "hang". I'll know hopefully by tomorrow the latest. You guys are more than welcome to come by my place, but you'd have to get to Queens (or I can pick you up in Manhattan...it's really close to my apt.). I have fresh delicious tea...almost 100 different kinds - does that make it worth the trip?? :)

I'm willing to go to Jersey too. Whatever you guys want to do. Let's figure it out....we'll talk through email, because like Eddie said, we shouldn't be flooding this forum with these posts (although it seems easier this way so that we can all read it...maybe the next one to email someone should cc the other people).

Gabi

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Oh...I guess we were posting at the same time Ines! That's good news. I'm gonna give a call just out of curiosity and see what hoyas they have.

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Well, Gabi emailed me their hoya list and I don't have a few of them, plus they have one I really really want and though I would like to become and remain dear friends with you all, I am prepared to FIGHT TO THE DEATH for it....or maybe just fight to a few broken bones, it depends on how much I like you guys.

I know because I live down here that it sounds like this will just be easy for ME, and it will, but where we are going is in the Phila area....so that would be the area to meet in. I was hoping that a few of you could carpool down from up north to make it more fun, easier for you, and less polluting to the environment, but that is up to you! I think I mentioned above that I will be coming down from my boyfriends Sat morn in Bucks county, can meet anywhere you like, most convenient would be near Exit 4 where you will be getting off the turnpike.

I need to know what you think would be a good time to go, Meadowbrook opens at 10am, it is about a half hour to get there from S. Jersey. I can call and make an appointment for our tour, and get exact directions.

Sponsored