SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

Hosta pot news flash -- 4 out of 5 have pipped!

esther_b
10 years ago

The 18" glazed ceramic pot with its central mini-heuchie and its 5 precious mini hostas was an experiment for me, never having previously potted hostas and kept them through the winter. As of yesterday, the mini-heuchie (Frost, quite lovely) and 4 of the 5 mini hostas have pipped. This despite the theft of the garbage can "Winter Plant Shelter" and the scant shelter provided thereafter by a contractor bag, the remaining lid of the stolen garbage can (decorated with plastic flowers to underline the ludicrous situation) and 4 dowel rods to support the lid. I am both amazed and delighted to see those 4 pips, hopefully soon joined by the straggler's pips. Because of the extreme upheaval of the pot's orientation and its winter covering, I am totally not sure of which pip is which, namewise. Won't be until they unfurl. There's Appletini, Pure Heart, Cracker Crumbs, Sparkler and one other that eludes my mind right now.

As for their big brothers planted in the ground, I saw pips for Maui Buttercups, Paradise Island, Raspberry Sundae, and a couple of other hostas as of yesterday. My little dwarf spirea is really beginning to leaf out, which is good, as the sun-tender heuchie Midas Touch depends on the spirea to shade it from the sun. All the heuchies except for Georgia Peach are sending up significant new baby leaves. I THINK I can see the very beginnings of new growth on Georgia Peach. I stripped away all the old dead leaves so that I could spot any new growth.

The iris, perennial salvia, dicentra and dianthus are all sending up significant new growth as well, so there will be COLOR coming along in a bit, to relieve the dreary winter-like landscape.

Comments (4)