SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greentoe357

ramblings about lights and related issues

greentoe357
9 years ago

GG and I had an email conversation recently comparing our experiences and ideas with T5 lights for hoya setups and some tangential issues. We thought we should just put it all here - maybe it'll help others and maybe we'll get a broader conversation and further comments/ideas from others.

So, here it goes, an email per post, for clarity.

GT said:

Hey, one quick question for you while I remember. You mentioned (in my lighting setup thread, I think) that you have one T5 bulb per shelf, and that that's enough for flowering most hoyas. Did I get this correctly? What are the dimensions of your shelves?

My only three fixtures so far are 4-, 2- and 2-bulb four-footers, but I need to light 2 more shelves, and am thinking what kinds of fixtures to get. They'll be T5s for sure, 4-footers as well, but not sure how many bulbs. My shelves are 14x36 inches.

The advice I've read previously is with T5s, you can't really have too much light, and that most plants need to be close, as long as they are not touching the bulbs. I wonder how to reconcile this. Come to think of it, the GW's "Growing Under Lights" forum seems to be very salesy, full of people with agendas that they do not disclose. Lighting forums generally are also full of pot-growing people, and cannabis requires ridiculously high amounts of light, I understand, so I might have gotten bad advice there.

Comments (11)

Sponsored