SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maire_cate

About to enter The Twilight Zone now - a rambling tale.

maire_cate
6 years ago

Our newly remodeled home is nearly finished and we hope to move in mid-September after the carpets arrive and the Silhouettes are on the windows.

It's going to be a brand new world. We've lived in the same home for 34 years and raised 3 kids, 7 dogs, various reptiles, rodents and fish and now we're downsizing into an over 55 community. It will be a new experience learning to live with an HOA - lucky us - the President lives next door and takes his role very seriously. We're looking forward to this next phase and have been pleasantly surprised with the friendliness of just about everyone we've met. I've been friends for a few years with several people who already live there and since it's only 8 miles from our long-time home we aren't relocating to a new area. And the kids are still within a 30 minute drive.

My contractor mentioned that they took all the owner's manuals, installation instructions, and warranty forms to put into a large binder with all the contact information for the subs who have worked on the house.

Then it dawned on me that it's going to take some time to become familiar with all these new appliances. Some things are fairly simple like the microwave and the refrigerator. However there will be a learning curve for the Bosch DW, the BlueStar range (which I've left to DH to interpret), the electric wall oven, a new washer and dryer, a new security system, the gas fireplace, new phones and the toughest of all - a new Smart TV. The Geek Squad will install and walk us through the features and settings but then unfortunately they leave us alone with the TV and the remote.

I fear we'll end up watching my little kitchen TV because we've managed to screw up the settings on the new TV and now everything is black. It reminds me of the time my father lived with us and he'd call to me from the family room - the TV was dark and he couldn't figure out what to do. I'd ask him which button he pressed and invariably he'd answer "all of them".

I've been keeping a list of contacts to notify about our change of address and it just keeps growing. At least my new address labels arrived.

We're been cleaning out and decluttering for months but we still have a way to go. We deliberately chose a home without a basement or attic as an incentive to eliminate extraneous items from our lives. And a home that would also be livable if there were only one of us. We do have a 2 car garage which will hold DH's workbench and there's room for my gardening tools. We splurged and had closet systems installed in our bedroom and cabinets in the laundry room which will also house my desk.

The renovations centered around the kitchen and I'm thrilled with the results. After having dark cherry kitchen cabinets I went with a 'nearly white' kitchen this time. It's open to the family room and I wanted something light especially since it's half the size of my current kitchen.

My only regret is the paint in the rest of the house. I'm just not good at selecting paint and I felt pressured by the contractor's schedule. I would have picked an off-white and then lived in the house for a while before picking colors and still would have wondered if I had made the right choice. Unfortunately this makes my husband nuts and he wanted everything done before we moved. I think it's too dark but I'll wait to see how everything looks with furniture. DH keeps reassuring me that paint errors are among the easiest to remedy.

We're not ready for a reveal. Everything is still covered until the plumber and electrician finish and the painter returns for touch ups.

There are probably many others here on this forum who are also in a transitional phase. I find it simultaneously exhilarating and exhausting and I'll be happy when we're finished.

I warned you it was a rambling tale......

Maire

Comments (20)