SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

groundcovers revisited

annafl
16 years ago

Months ago, maybe even a year ago (can't find that thread), I posted trying to get suggestions on ground covers. There were lots of great suggestions and I can't find it, but I did use several of the suggestions you gave me. Some, I couldn't find. I promised to give a review of the results when I had them, so here I go:

Barleria repens cv. rosea- this is one I really wanted, and was able to find. So sorry I did. Yes, it did fill in quickly, but even before it was filled in, I had little ones sprouting all over the yard. It has bloomed ok, usually has a few here and there, but not worth having so far. I'm keeping it till I find something else to plant, or in case it really puts on a show in the fall. However, I would not recommend this one unless you really like to bend over, and over, and over.

Sedum angelina- Looked so pretty in the spring. Chartreuse, bright and cheery and I had dreams of a carpet like this. Didn't happen. Looked great till May, then did not like the heat and humidity. I had heard that the trick to having sedums here was good drainage. They had perfect drainage, once a week watering. Almost all gone. Too bad.

Sedum teractinum (coral sedum)- Same as above, maybe a tad better. Will never make a ground cover in my yard. Only wisps of it left.

Neoregelia bromeliads- Have been very pretty, and tolerant of a few hours of sun. You have to have time, though, or lots of money for lots of plants. They are beautiful, and easy, but a little slow for my taste. I am still working on an area, and need to get many more, but I will persist, cuz in the long run they will be worth it. They are not for quick gratification, instead for the patient gardener with not a lot of space to fill, like I did.

acalypha repens (dwarf chenille)- I LOVE this ground cover. It does sun, shade, and everything inbetween. Looks good almost all year and blooms almost all year. Forms a nice, filled in look at only about 4-6 inches high, which is what I need most. Creeps, but is manageable in my opinion, and doesn't seed.

philodendron burle marx- I like this one too, especially in shade or part shade. Fills in nicely at about a foot. Looks good all year, maybe a little tired in the winter. Travels at a nice pace and is manageable. Very green and glossy. Fresh look.

Starburst pentas- I like these too, but grow to about 2 feet, so are borderline as a ground cover for me. I also have to work at propagating them, since I can't find them, and I never have enough. They last about a year or two before looking a bit ratty.

Coleus- I only have a few kinds, and two as groundcovers. Very beautiful, but look leggy this time of year, and stressed for me. Need supplemental water, which is hard for me to do.

Begonias- I love these as ground covers, but again, are a bit slow to spread, so need many plants, or lots of patience.

stapelia gigantea- like this one. Looks good all year in sun or part sun. Is only about 6 inches and a nice, uniform filler. I prefer it when it is not in bloom. Creeps slowly, doesn't seed.

Ferns- have macho and fishtail. Very pretty in shade or part shade. However, creep quickly, and I'm always pulling some out. Too much work, and can get to 4-5 feet. Great if you have a large area to fill and don't care if it spreads.

I would love to hear about any other ideas, especially for low-growing ground covers (8 inches or less), that are non-invasive. I still have lots of space to fill at the edges of my beds. Please tell me about your experience with ground covers. Thanks,

Anna

Comments (30)