SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
albaby_gw

Planting Day 2010, and some lessons

albaby
13 years ago

Today was planting day, when all my seedlings (with some additional plants from the nursery) went into the backyard garden. Still staying with me in the house, though, are all my peppers and eggplants, which are still too small to even start hardening off yet. Next year, I'll know to start peppers and eggplants much sooner (probably early July) - even my tomatoes probably could have used an extra week or two.

Anyway, here's what it looks like now:

The near bed has zukes and eggplants in the middle, peppers and eggplants along the left side, with herbs around the near and right edge. I wanted salad greens for the zukes to grow across towards the aisle, but no luck at either HD or Galloway Farms nursery, so I'll have to wait until they have some in stock. The corners are all taken up by the Great Sacrificial Marigolds - which my daughter will pick, but leave the rest of the garden alone (you can see she's already stripped the near-right marigold, and "re-planted" the picked flowers right next to it. Bush beans are coming in nicely in the upper bed, with peas just starting to poke out next to them.

In the next bed

My tomato seedlings were still pretty small and leggy, despite being under a lamp for the last six weeks, and I'm not sure they're going to make it. Those are Cherokee Purples, Sweet 100's, and Lemon Boy. I grew a second batch of each one, which I'm keeping along in their pots in case any of these don't take. My butterstick squash is resting on a flowerpot to keep it out of the dirt - it also got super leggy, just jumping eight inches out of the starter pot before the cotyledon leaves even opened up.

Last bed here:

More bush beans, and peppers up front. Space where the Ping Tung and Sweet Pepper will go, with my Green Zebra, Yellow Pear and a second Cherokee Purple in the back. For some reason, those seedlings didn't get as leggy, but still weren't as big as I'd like.

Lessons for next year:

- Start the peppers and eggplants July 1, rather than August 1 - it's just not enough time to get them ready to go. Tomatoes will get started in mid-July, a bit earlier also.

- I think I'm going to skip transplanting my squash/zukes, and just seed in place in late August. The seedling just goes out of control in a starting pot.

- I wasn't able to find any greens (other than collards), and no cukes in the local nurseries this time of year. They said it was still too hot/early. So I've got some additional blank spaces for them, and I'll keep that in mind for next fall.

Looking forward to a productive season, and may the bugs and snails stay away!

Alan

Comments (8)

Sponsored
EasyHeat
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Easy-to-Install, Reliable Heating Products in North America