SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ludiciousacres

A Parade of Hostas

Ludicious Acres
11 years ago

Pics last updated on 4/20/13

Hi Everyone,

Last year I ended up with 31 new hostas after Elegans pushed me down the rabbit hole. I am not comfortable planting in my native soil until I amend it a bit further, so I potted all of them up for overwintering.

Being the inexperienced Gardner that I am, I ended up planting a lot of them in pots much too big for their root mass. I also planted a lot of them too deep. The icing on the cake though, was that I used a mixture of 50% top soil and 50% potting mix. It ended up compacting so bad they would puddle when it rained.

Here they are on 10/20/2012 (minus two of my three Andrews)

Needless to say those were not ideal conditions. So, this past Saturday I took to task resetting all of them in appropriate pots with appropriate soil at the appropriate depth . . . phew !

It was the most delightful day. A perfect 60 degrees with a light wind and nothing but hostas all day. It took me about 5 hours to do all 31, but I also admit I was taking my time and making sure I had the planting depth correct. I wasn't in any rush since I have been waiting all winter to play with them again. :)

Hostas go through such a rapid and dynamic metamorphosis from pip to mound I thought it would be interesting to capture it in sort of a time lapse. A few of the early risers are already leafing out, so for some it won't be from pip to mound 100%. I would have started sooner but needed to wait until I had a decent pip on each of them. In any event, it should make for an interesting presentation.

First round of pics were all taken on 04/15/2013. I will be updating this same post in about five days with another round of pics to see how far they've come. I'll try and stick to 5 day intervals, if possible.

Hope you enjoy and stay tuned for more.

Ludi :)

EDIT #1 (04/16/13) - Changed the size of the font to help break up the pictures better.

EDIT #2 (04/17/13) - Added some previous pictures I had for some of the early risers.

EDIT #3 (04/20/13) - Added the next round of Pics

Andrew (HD1)

Andrew (HD2)

Andrew (NAY)

Cascades (love this one)

Cranberry Wine

Curly Fries (unseasoned)

Earth Angel (another fav)

Fluted Fountain

Forbidden Fruit

Frisian Pride

Golden Meadows

Half and Half

Irish Luck

June

Kiwi Full Monty

Lakeside Paisley Print

Mango Tango

Mikado (can't wait for this one to grow up)

Mikawa-no-yuki

Night before Christmas (LOOK AT ALL THOSE PIPS!!!!!!!)

Praying Hands (this one jumped from one eye last year to seven this year . . . the power of prayer)

Red October

Regal Supreme (PP19818)

Sea Gulf Stream (another fav)

Sharp Dressed Man (amazing variegation on this one)

She's a Dancer OS (a splurge but well worth it)

Stained Glass

Sun Power

Volcano Island (the color of these pips are awesome in person)

Wolverine (the first of mine to emerge)

Woop Woop

This post was edited by Ludisia on Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 14:05

Comments (16)