SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_barginear

The Children Are All Nestled Snug In Their Beds.....

12 years ago

With a lot of help from friends, 1600+ seedlings are now planted in the garden among the "grown-up" daylilies. It is amazing to see how fast they take off and start growing, once they are liberated from their styrofoam cups. I'm hoping they will grow quickly before Ole Man Winter sets in - usually around the end of December.

And...I have resolved not to start any more seeds, ever again. You all hear that don't you? Never, ever will I start another seed. Never, ever will I buy any more seeds at the LA. I am getting too old for all this work. I even broke down and sent half of my harvested seeds to a young enthusiastic couple in Mexico. Now that was a real sacrifice!

On a sadder note, I braved it and walked out to the daylily garden this afternoon with paper and pencil to make a list of those we lost this summer. Sixty-two registered cultivars gone! To make matters worse, I had planned on registering two beautiful seedlings that are no more. Those I cannot replace and it makes me very sad.

I hope there will never be another summer like this past one.

Orders are beginning to arrive so we should be pretty busy planting daylilies for the next few weeks. On the bright side, I'm excited about getting not just replacements, but new ones, too: ABILENE LILLIAN, BRIDEY GREESON, BIG RED WAGON, SIR FRANCIS DRAKE, CROWNING LIGHT, TALLADEGA, UPGRADE, HAPPY HAPPY, and EENIE MEENIE JELLYBEANY, among others.

Nancy

Comments (12)

• 12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That is fantastic, Nancy!! Wow, 1600!!! That really is going to be so exciting once blooming starts!
    I'm really sorry to hear about your losing plants, especially those seedlings you wanted to register. I know I really struggle with not being upset on days after winter, when I have to count up which ones I lost to freeze/thaw.
    Sounds like you got some great ones coming. I want Eenie Meenie Jelly Beenie, so I'll be waiting to see your pictures of what it looks like :)

• 12 years ago

Wow Nancy! You have really been working! This is the first time I have lost anything to crown rot so I sympathize so much with you,,,I will want Spoken in Parables replaced for sure, and I have replaced the others...I had only four, so you had terrible damage. I hope that next year is a better year. I am especially sorry for your seedling loss.

kay

• 12 years ago

1600, incredible! 1600 surprise packages. Congrats. How did you handle all the record keeping. Are all the little babies marked in their new beds as to the pod parent etc?

• 12 years ago

Sure was a lot of work you got done. Hopefully the weather will improve from now on and no more plant losses.

• 12 years ago

Out of curiosity, if you have time, what are some of the crosses you did?

• 12 years ago

Wow, that had to have been a huge job!! It is sad to lose a few. I have Happy Happy, and Sir Francis Drake on my list!!!
    cindy

• 12 years ago

Wow! What a job. Can't wait to see pics of your babies when they're big enough to bloom.

• 12 years ago

Sorry to hear you lost so many. I had a few that struggled this year due to no rain-but I've never lost more than a couple a year if that. I did lose a couple seedlings last year when they got frost heaved and then flooded in the spring-But as I never got to see them bloom, I couldn't miss them too much.
    I probably have about 250 seeds that I will need to start in the early spring. Since I don't have a greenhouse I usually lose about a quarter before spring hits. I tend to either over or under water. I make hubby take care of my houseplants so I don't kill them. I don't know why I can grow outdoor plants but kill indoor ones!

Do you have a list of those you lost? If I have a few of them I'd be happy to share in the spring.

• 12 years ago

wow, 1600 seedlings to plant, now that was work.even with help that be work.I could not do it.i done got too old for it, when I get down on my knees, I can not get back up, and that has just started this year.now,I work just to get back up when sitting on a little stool, but can geet up from that, just cant make it if I get on the knees.am so sorry you lost all them plants., hope this coming year will bw much better for you.

Jean

• 12 years ago

Are you sure they're all completely dead? I had a MING PORCELAIN that got planted late because it was a gift, and it crisped up and disappeared for the last couple months, but I just left it alone, and since about a week ago it has been fanning up again.

I'm not sure what I'm doing right (or not doing wrong), but I haven't lost any adult plants this year. The seedlings are a bit more fragile, so I've killed a few of them.

Nate

• 12 years ago

Actually, I thought we had lost a lot more, but we did get an all-day rain a couple of weeks ago, and there are signs of life in some that I had thought were gone.

Below is a list of the registered daylilies we lost. Most of them were established clumps.

Rose Emily
    My Heart Belongs To Daddy (new, will be replaced)
    Mildred Mitchell
    Sabine Baur
    Platinum and Gold
    Malaysian Monarch
    Chama Valley
    Concorde Nelson
    Yesterday Memories
    Sherry Lane Carr
    Lady Neva
    Ruffled Perfection (one of my favorite dips)
    All The Magic
    Vintage Bordeaux
    Pat Soileau
    Pandora's Treasure
    Charles Johnston
    Galaxy Explosion
    Sublime Enchantment
    Surprise Encounter
    Mask of Eternity
    Marilyn Siwik
    Clothed in Glory
    Oktoberfest
    Evelyn Kloeris
    Tetra Connie Burton (new this year, never did thrive)
    Orange Velvet
    Chartered Course
    Tetra Siloam Ralph Henry (it never did well here)
    Seize The Night
    Fire Music
    San Juan Sunset
    Court Magician
    Bas Relief (the first one to die)
    Good Morning America
    Shaka Zulu
    Alpine Ruffles (new this year, but did not survive)
    Last Flight Out
    Darla Anita
    Last Frontier (huge clump - wasn't expecting this)
    America's Most Wanted
    Electric Marmalade Magic (new this year)
    Tune The Harp
    Romeo Is Bleeding
    Pure and Simple
    Winning Note
    Wishmaster (one tiny nub remaining - it might make it)
    Blue Pink Beauty (new clump this year)
    Scaramouche
    Dragon King
    Fortune's Dearest
    Pirate's Lady
    Debbie Smith (new this year)
    Watchyl Lavender Blue
    Felicia Grace
    Bonnie Holley
    Lord of Rings
    Beside Still Waters
    President Ronald Reagan

I have been having health problems since January from what I believe was a bad reaction to the antibiotic Levaquin, so have been really under the weather since then. I wasn't able to get out and spray the daylilies with K-Phite this spring. When I first started dabbing pollen, I didn't keep any records of the pollen parents because it seemed like too much effort. I finally came to my senses half-way through the flowering period and started tagging the crosses. Due to so much wind and having to water, water, water, the tags were in pretty much of a mess when harvest time arrived.

Jean, like you, once I get down on my garden cart I can't get back up again. Thanks to the after-effects of Levaquin, I can just barely get into my SUV now. So, if anything gets done in the daylily bed, I have to get help. I can manage to pull up a weed here and there. I even got brave this morning and planted two daylilies that arrived a couple of days ago.

Some of the recorded crosses:

America's Most Wanted x J. T. Davis
    Midnight Magic x Born To Run
    One Step Beyond x Casa des Juan
    Enchanting Esmerelda x Pathway to Paradise
    God Save The Queen x Casa des Juan
    Invitation to Immortality x Leslie Renee
    Greek Effect x Mildred Mitchell
    God Save The Queen x Carnival In Mexico
    Last Flight Out x Cerulean Warbler
    Inherited Wealth x Crazy Ivan
    Divine Comedy x Claudine's Charm
    Sherry Lane Carr x Angelwalker
    Spacecoast Gone Bulldoggin' x Out Of This World
    Enchanting Esmerelda x Belle Cook
    Desperado Love x Crazy Ivan
    Angelwalker x Spacecoast Gone Bulldoggin'
    Kate Carpenter x Out Of This World
    Invitation to Immortality x Song Triumphant
    Great White x Claudine's Charm
    God Save The Queen x Mildred Mitchell
    J. T. Davis x Malaysian Monarch
    Betty Warren Woods x Pathway To Paradise
    Invitation to Immortality x Carnival In Mexico
    Beautiful Edgings x Double Cranberry Ruffles
    Born To Run x Song Triumphant
    Scarlet Orbit x Victorian Lace
    Roses In Snow x Presumed Innocent
    Collectors Choice x Belle Cook
    Roman Cohort x Darla Anita
    Song Writer x Vatican City
    Mask of Time x God Save The Queen
    Tupac Amaru x Song Triumphant
    Song Writer x Mildred Mitchell

Half-way through sprouting and planting seeds, I realized I couldn't possibly grow so many seedlings, so most of the seeds from recorded crosses were sent to a young couple in Mexico who are very interested in growing and hybridizing daylilies. They live in Comitan de las Flores near the Guadalajara border, and they tell me it is neither hot nor cold there - like a year-round spring. The daylilies are having a long blooming season there. They were still living here when we moved from the country last year, so I gave them a lot of the daylilies I couldn't bring with me. They were realy fascinated with the multiple-colored ones, stating that there were only flowers of just one color growing down where they were from.

What I did not know was that the entire postal system in Mexico shuts down for a week during their national holiday on Sept. 16, so the seeds had to sit at their post office until it reopened the following week. I haven't heard from them yet if they made it O.K.

Nancy

• 12 years ago

I can't imagine planting that many seedlings, but what a thrill it will be to see them bloom. I really feel badly that you lost so many daylilies this summer--especially the seedlings that you were going to register. That must be heartbreaking. I often thought about everyone who was having such terrible summer weather. Here it's the winter when I have to worry about losses. Sure hope that you have a good summer and that all you new babies make it.
    Val