SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piri_gw

My Miracle Fruit needs a doctor!

piri
15 years ago

Hi all.

One month ago I had the great idea to set my Miracle Fruit bush on the front porch while I went to work. I did this because it was humid August and the covered porch only gets direct sun in the late afternoon. Well, it didn't like that very much because when I got home the poor thing was almost completely dead. I rushed it inside and soaked the roots for an hour, then it went back under it's plastic bag in the upstairs window. It was a beautiful 18" bushy plant. Now it has 9 leaves left on it.

Like I said this was a month ago. I know it's a slow growing plant, but I haven't seen any change whatsoever since that day. I would think the poor little guy would be eager to get some new leaves on him.

I have it in a mixture of Sphagnum Peat and Perlite with one pot of coffee's grounds mixed in. Two weeks ago I gave it fish emulsion. I have Foliage Pro, but I'm reluctant to use it because it will sweeten the soil. It's under a plastic bag most of the day and night, but I lift the bag for afew hours in the evening so the air in the bag doesn't go stale. You can tell it's too dry in my house to forgoe the bag because in these few hours the leaves always change shape slightly, with some turning over. I mist into the bag in the morning and evening. Even though the plant lost 90% of it's leaves, the top inch or so of each branch is still green, so I think it's all alive inside.

What can I do to help this guy grow some green? I know he was in great distress, but the incident was a month ago and he's been very happy since then. It's time for him to grow! He looks like the Charlie Brown Miracle Fruit Bush!

Thanks!

-Piri

Comment

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!