SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maidinmontana

Wonderin if I'm doing everything OK...

maidinmontana
15 years ago

Hi All, I haven't been growing Hoyas very long and I don't have a lot of them. I really like them probably b/c of the constant challenge to get them to bloom. (for me anyway). I think, from what I have seen and read, I have healthy looking hoyas, nice color, healthy looking leaves etc. But what I'm wondering is... if what I'm doing is hindering them from blooming. Don't get me wrong, I know they can take some time to get established and cozy, and since most of mine are from cuttings, this is going to take some time. I think the foliage is equally as nice as the flowers so it does make for waiting for flowers more bearable.

There are a lot of different opinions on how one grows them. Some say let them dry out between waterings, some say keep them evenly moist. Some say direct light makes them flower, some say direct light will make the leaves/ growth more desireable but hinder the flowering process. Some say theirs are in the same pot as when they bought it, others say they repot on a regular basis....thus helping it to set buds. Some use only plastic pots and others swear by clay pots.

While I realize everyones conditions differ, what works for one doesn't always work for others. And there is a matter of opinion that comes into play, like what one thinks is bright light to another is direct light and so on and so on...

I'll share what I do and I would appreciate any comments good and or bad.

They all get eastern exposure, sun hitting them from approx 5' away for 1-2 hours per day. Bright light for the rest of the day. (They are in my laundry room with a glass door letting in light, with the reflection of the white appliances causing brightness in the room. And there is a skylight in the adjoing room which casts sun in this room in the late afternoon). All but 1 are in clay pots, 1 in plastic. I recently potted them up (I know this will slow down flowering... maybe)using a mixture of potting soil and perlite, = amounts. I water w/ VF-11 when the top of the soil is somewhat dry and there is no moisture showing on the outside of the pot. (generally every 5-9 days) I foliar feed weekly w/ VF-11. My Wayetti used to be in a west window sill before I moved it. My Carnosa and Compacta were in a western exposure as well, 2' away from the window but under a lamp that stayed on 24-7. My Tsangii was in bright ,no direct light, area. And my incurvula (recently purchased) was in a east window 2' away from the glass. Now they are all in the same area and I will watch to see if there is any kind of protest due to the move.

Let me know what you all think. I just want to do the right thing so some day I can post a pic here ... darn it.

Debi

Comment (1)

Sponsored