SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drgulley_gw

Dixie Land Band

drgulley
16 years ago

I saw a picture of this one today and it is really eye catching. Does anyone know where you can purchase a nice healthy double fan? I looked on the lily auction but no luck. I also did a general search and only saw one place that looks like they may have it, Simonton Bridge Daylilies. They charge $12 for shipping and I was a little surprised. I have never ordered from them or heard anything good or bad about them.

Dianne

Comments (21)

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

The 2007 Eureka shows these vendors that offer DLB.
    Amador Flower Farm
    Day Bloomer's Garden
    Faded Flamingo Garden
    Farmhouse Daylily Garden
    Sunset Meadow Daylily Farm
    All of the above list it for $5.00.
    Hope you find it.
    Jan

• Nancy Barginear
    16 years ago

I thought the same thing, Dianne. It's on my list to order from Sunset Meadows in the spring.

• Related Discussions

Blooms from this season in the garden

Q

Comments (11)
    Wow. Everything is so green and the plant combinations are just so pretty. My roses have not rebloomed yet as we had 6 weeks of no rain. They just started growing again after the soaking rainstorms of last week. So I really enjoyed yours looking so beautiful.
    ...See More

Mary Todd or Condilla

Q

Comments (8)
    I have had Mary Todd in my garden for years. My mature plants bloom for a month or longer. I don't grow Condilla but I know Mary Todd's flowers are larger. In my zone 5 garden it blooms in July. Mine are about 30" tall, flowers are 6". One small plant has been divided several times over about 20 years and here is what I have now, several divisions are in friends gardens. This is just before blooming, will add another picture Sherry
    ...See More

New Purchases

Q

Comments (8)
    I've always liked the pictures I've seen of Navajo Princess. Dixie Land Band looks really nice too if it holds its color. I like the white mid stripe on it in particular. Maybe they will all bloom in time to post pictures to the January alphabet soup Sherry may start in 2016............Maryl
    ...See More

Last Hurrah 15 for Houzz

Q

Comments (16)
    Laura, Judy doesn't list all her older cultivars. Gimmee is not listed either. Yes, Dixie Land Band is listed as "early," but here it blooms towards the end. For a while, it did little here, but the past several years, it has been a consistent bloomer. The constant cold of last winter was actually friendly to many evergreens. Now I know why people north of here say that a cultivar does well for them, but here it is a disaster. Zones are not the whole story. Freeze/thaw cycles are very important. For many years, Winter Treasure fared badly here, but it loved the constant cold of last winter. But some things are unexplained. I used to get good bloom on Forever Redeemed; now, for two years I have hardly seen a bloom. Meanwhile, others are raving about it. Dick says that Insider Trading is wonderful for him. Here, only 50 miles away, it has always bloomed on short scapes. Orange City, another one that is good for him, has been a failure for both Nancy and me, who live farther south. Dixie Land Band does not have high bud count, but growth is vigorous here. Lots of rain here today. It was an angry rain, pummeling the ground, releasing all the fury of weeks of miserable humidity. The Star Lord blooms I saw were clean, but not a lot of blooms the first year. Out of Mary's Baby. This post always began with Roman Cohort.
    ...See More
  • gonegardening
    16 years ago

I don't know anything about them...but, if your comment about being surprised refers to the postage...don't be. It sounds fair to me. In the past couple of months, I have mailed more boxes of daylilies than I ever have and I can tell you postage has gone up. Anybody that is charging six or even eight dollars is probably losing money. Add that to all the effort that goes into digging, cleaning and packing (plus driving to the post office)...and I would say most don't charge enough!

You know, for years I have ordered from various catalog companies and they always charged for packing and shipping...and it was always more than the postage on the box. It helps to remember that there is more to it than just that amount you see on the package you receive.

It really changes your perspective when you try it for yourself.

If I read you incorrectly, please disregard! :-)

• Nancy Barginear
    16 years ago

USPS shipping, priority mail, for five lbs. should cost
    6.30, 7.55, 8.90, 11.90, 12.90, 14.35 or 15.85,
    depending upon the zone of the addressee. This does not include the cost of the box, insurance, packaging materials, etc.

Most of the daylily nurseries I have dealt with charge around $8 + .25-1.00 for each additional cultivar over one, and some only charge extra for in excess of four daylilies.

I agree that $12 is a bit much for shipping one daylily. I doubt if it would weigh very much. I find it very annoying when people make money off of shipping.

• MaxBaerHems
    16 years ago

Najoba,

I have to state that what YOU may consider "Making" money off shipping and what really is, may be very different then one thinks....IE As GG stated above...there is "ALOT" more to it then just "Shipping'...most consider the "Handling" a part of the "Shipping" process. You must consider that it requires a "Basic" amount of time and work to "Ship" a Daylily. It is actually, sometimes much easier on the "Shipper" to ship more then one Daylily and more cost effective too. Go out... dig up and divide and clean and treat a Daylily to prepare it for Proper Shipping...then do a couple hundred....oh and don't forget to label them, have packing material prepared for each daylily and then to box each one...then go to your Post Office...that trip cost GAS and Wear and Tear on your vehicle (Yes, you can have them come pick up your box/slightly higher fee for shipping from PO). Arrive at the PO and set your box on the scale....well GEEEE you mean because I added Freebie "Bonus/Gift" Daylilies the actual shipping is More then I charged...well "Dumb" on me......Yes. I used to charge 6.00 for a single and 1.00 more for each...till last year came and the rates went way up by "Zone". That won't happen anymore...it will have to be 8.00 and 2.00 now...just to break even on "Shipping and Handling"...call it what you want...by any name..but very few "Make Money" on Shipping...except the PO. After you figure the "Real Costs" involved and take in account all the things/materials one needs to Properly ship a Daylily/Daylilies....12.00 is Cheap...why do you think prices are so high at a Nursery/Garden Center?? Yup Shipping/ Handling/Freight/Yup all those things we call "Overhead"....Oh and don't forget all of the "Buyers" that want "Free" replacement after purchase...with no thought to... yes.....More shipping and handling costs....Yup.....I think that 8.00 to 10.00 is Very Reasonable...and 1.00 to 2.00 for each extra...very fair...and yes it's Very Nice to get a Bonus/Gift or two....:)
    I guess it'a all in the way you look at it.....Well I gotta go out and bust some more "Ironstone" for a new Daylily bed so I can have a "Happy Customer" in the ....Future.....Hmmm it's 90 degrees....90% Humidity...hazy too...Hmmmm...that Pic and Sledge Hammer sure are heavy...oh well what is a little Labor....and work...I'm gona be "Rich" after I "Make Money" on Shipping......ROTFLMAO......it all in a days work....ya gotta Love Daylilies....:) Maybe I can ship some more this Spring and be more annoying....LOL LOL...Just Kidding...Najoba.....:) Have a Great Day All...:)
    Rick

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

I second everything Rick and GG said above. Try doing it first before conplaining about shipping charges. Let me tell you, it "ain't no picnic" to get dl's ready for shipping. Especially if you have lots of them to do. :)
    Jan

• katlynn719
    16 years ago

And lets not forget the wonderful, always present, Seller Fees! If you sell on ebay or the lily auction, the seller must pay a listing fee - whether the item sells or not. It's money gone. Then you have a relisting fee if you want to run the item for sale again. Once the item does sell, then you must pay a selling fee. And then if you accept PayPal, the seller must pay a PayPal fee. It's unbelievable until you've done it yourself. Talk about a rude awakening - I was so shocked! I never complain about SH charges anymore.
    Kathy

• Nancy Barginear
    16 years ago

Hmmmm...why not price the daylily accordingly?

• MaxBaerHems
    16 years ago

Why?? The cost is in the "Shipping and Handling"...why call it anything other then what it is? By offering discounted shipping costs for those that buy more then one it allows the "Seller" and the "Buyer" an upfront, honest way to purchase Daylilies. If the actual shipping/handling cost is clearly stated, why jack up the price of the Daylily? I would think you would find it annoying for those that would do that to "Profit" or as you said "make money off of" selling Daylilies. AS long as the practice of selling them is honest and upfront...and the Shipping/Handling is clearly stated I don't see what the problem is.....Try shipping and handling a few hundred and see how you feel about it then...you might have a different outlook on it all then...just a thought...:)

• okbt
    16 years ago

Yes,postage went up,minimum wage is up,oil is up.The charge is for shipping AND handling.The handling part includes wages for employees,which can span from bookeeping to laborers.I don't get upset at S&H fees,but the Contractors around here add 25% to everything they do,along with their base fee.That is ,if they subcontract a plumber,they add 25% to what the plumber charges them(and of course the plumber has already added his 25% to the cost of plumbing materials).Here is an example.My mother was charged $32,000 to replace a slate roof of 110 square.He sold the slate-$ in his pocket.I was talking to the roofer he subbed out to and found out that the guy got $6,000 to put on the shingle roof.Long story short,the Contractor paid out a total of $14,000 in labor,the roofing sub,and materials.Leaves $18,000 for him.Yes,he has insurance and cost of doing business fees,but I still think that was rather excessive.
    So what I am saying is that put into perspective,you would have to sell and ship a lot of daylilies to come close to profiting as much as a contractor does on a 5 day job.It's a lot more work for the dl person too.I am not downing anybody for complaining about S&H,nobody WANTS to pay it.

Betsy

• katlynn719
    16 years ago

I've been selling daylily seeds this year. I charge $2.00 SH + .25 for any additional seed packets. Some of my customers might look at the 58 cent postage and think ...what a rip-off...she's making $1.42 on SH! Not true. There are a lot of hidden costs that buyers may not be aware of. Here is a typical break down of my shipping/selling costs based on a winning bid of $4.00 for one packet of seeds.

Stamps - .58
    Bubble Envelope - .18 (25 @ $4.72 per box)
    Paypal Fee - .47 (a percentage of the purchase price)
    LA listing fee - .20
    LA selling fee - .17 (% of the purchase price)
    Plastic zip lock bag for seeds - .04 (100 @ $3.99)
    Label for each packet of seeds - .03 (300 @ $7.99)
    Ink for printer - .02 (wild guess)
    Paper for invoice and envelope label - .01 (another wild guess)
    ---------------
    Total - $1.70

Plus, there are other costs that would be too difficult to estimate...such as: gas used for purchases, tax, the hybridizing tags, vials, fertilizer, fungicide, etc. And then take into consideration that this package of seeds might not sell the first time around - it might be relisted several times with additional listing fees. Bottom line - a Buyer should be concerned with the TOTAL cost - a combination of SH + purchase price. It you think it is too high, don't buy it.
    Kathy

• okbt
    16 years ago

I think it is a matter of people just seeing the shipping cost of the box at the PO and not realizing the rest that goes in to it.

• fairysoapgirl
    16 years ago

Just to chime in here... I don't ship daylilies, but I do ship for my business... I find that anything related to shipping (ie postage in addition to shipping supplies like bubble wrap, envelopes, boxes, tape, paper, gas to drive to PO)I charge under shipping. Anything like Paypal fees, listing fees (in my case a portion of my website costs), and my time all get included in the price of the item. Those are all things that I consider the cost of doing business, and are not at all related to shipping or handling.

That being said, the more someone buys the better the shipping deal is for them. It costs me the same in supplies (box, paper, bubble wrap, tape, drive to the PO) for one item as it does for 10 items. Calculating shipping is a complicated thing due to variables -zip code (aka how far the box is going), weight, size etc... but in most cases, I have found that DL being shipped (at least to me) have all come in:

USPS Priority Mail flat rate boxes - This is a flat fee of $8.95 for as much as you can fit in the box (so far, 11 triple fans have come to me in one box, without being overloaded). I can understand adding on a buck or two for tape, rubber bands, paper etc. More than $11, I have to say I start to feel ripped off and won't buy from that seller.

UPS - Most sellers using UPS, have used UPS 3 Day Select, and you can ship up to 5 Lbs. ANYWHERE in the US for $17.60, and that is assuming you don't have a UPS account (which gets you a discounted rate). So, again, plus a buck or two for shipping supplies, and if they want to charge me more than $20 for this service, I don't feel right about it.

If I am buying a HUGE amount of DLs all at one time, I have to do my research and see shipping rates...

I think $12 for ONE DL is pushing it a bit, as sending a 1 lb box (usually a double fan weighs in around here with paper et all) priority mail to the farthest reaches of the 48 states costs $4.60. Assuming you add $1.00 for a piece of tape, (priority boxes from the post office are free), and maybe you bought paper to stuff the box, and printed off and invoice - That would make it $5.60 - I think $6.40 for a drive to the PO, is a little much.

Now, I have to add here that I don't know anything about the cost of Agricultural Inspection stickers to ship to certain states (aka California). I am sure that could add significant costs.

These are just my PERSONAL views on shipping vs. labor costs... please be gentle.

• okbt
    16 years ago

I would rather not pay shipping at all,or sales tax,or any add ons to the price of anything.I am not all for high shipping fees at all.As a matter of fact,I am so cheap that I check the shipping fee before I bid on the LA and put in my high bid accordingly.If I win,I win.And no,I won't pay $12 shipping for 1 plant,but there are those that will.Personal choice and free enterprise.

• MaxBaerHems
    16 years ago

Fairysoapgirl.....
    I bet the shipping and handling on those beautiful Stamiles you got was 15.00 plus a 1.00 for each addtional in the box....Hmmmmmmmm.... You think you could get 11 TF of those in an 8.95 box???
    Does that equate to your above mentioned cost system of shipping??? Your new arrivals are stunning...nice choices..I saw them on the other thread...they ship beautiful Daylilies don't they and nice "Extra's" too..:)

ROTFLMAO......Rick

• fairysoapgirl
    16 years ago

Just like Okbt said above...personal choice and free enterprise. Ps. They send 2nd Day Air, not USPS Priority Mail

No wonder people leave this forum after expressing a decenting opinion...

• MaxBaerHems
    16 years ago

Don't get upset Fairysoapgirl....Geeezzzzz I was just pointing out that there are many ways to look at what is "Fair" in the Shipping/Handling thing....you as well as anyone else are entitled to your opinon....don't get so touchy...please. They will send either way as it says on the site....I just wanted you to see there are many ways of looking at it...it's not all just wrapped up in a 8.95 box and done with.....Sorry if I offended you in any way... I apoligize if you you took me that way.....

Rick

• maximus7116
    16 years ago

I used to wonder about the cost of shipping and handling, too, ever since I got a box of daylilies from California and was charged $30+ shipping. But as Katie, Jan and Rick have said, after I shipped some daylilies myself, I'm now convinced that I've not been overcharged.

To be honest, I'm just grateful that there are daylily sellers out there who are willing to go through the whole process to supply me with more plants! It's not a fun way to spend a day.

• fairysoapgirl
    16 years ago

Apology accepted... it just felt a little personal - like you were saying I don't practice what I preach and laughing about it. I did say that 'Calculating shipping is a complicated thing due to variables'. I paid Maryott's $18.45 is shipping for the order that arrived today - but the box was huge, fitting 11 monster plants - and I mean monster! I am willing to pay shipping fees and even some handling fees... just not exorbitant ones... My main point is/was that things like digging, fertilizer and time should be included in the cost of the plant - what if someone was to pick it up from you? You would loose money if those costs were incorporated into your shipping rate. I think the hard parts of DL selling (digging, growing, fertilizing, cleaning, loving your plants) are what make DL worth $$. So, you coming down to have a beer or what? :o)

Chris - I am glad Bill @ Maryott's dug my plants! Especially since I got really nasty Red Ant bites from digging/planting yesterday! Those nasty little ba$t@#*s!

• maximus7116
    16 years ago

"Nasty little ba$t@#*s" is too kind! They've been my nemesis this year -- to the point that I stopped weeding a bed with new daylilies because I got chewed up every time I tried. Some folks on the GW gave me some suggestions on treatments to get rid of them.

• drgulley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yikes!!! I didn't mean to open up a can of worms here. I can actually see both sides of this now though after reading everyone's posts. I guess I really wasn't thinking about the time and effort that goes into shipping daylilies but I have to say that I have to side with Fairysoapgirl though. I personally probably wouldn't pay that much shipping if I could help it. Thanks everyone for your comments.