SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

A special pic,just for Countrygarden........

hosta_freak
15 years ago

Here is a pic of my HVX plant. You gotta admit,it's kinda pretty! Enjoy,and I'm out!! Phil

{{gwi:943758}}

Comments (24)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    15 years ago

Well, I peeked anyway because I find most of your photos breathtaking. HVX is a serious problem and I suggest that if you do a little more googling on the subject you will learn about its disastrous consequences.

-Babka

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

The photography is beautiful. However the warts and such would appear ugly, and I'm sorry to say I do not find the plant intriging. Hosta are purchased for certain qualities, not for this that I was aware of. Phil, do yourself a favor and research the info I gave you. The last I knew the whole purpose of forums were to become educated, a place to receive reputable advise. I hope when you are "out" in the garden, you might evaluate these "oddities" to there seriousness. I am unsure of what you have to gain by retaining said plants; just self destruction. Again ,please research the info as provided from myself and others.
    Babka, Thankyou! I realize this is not a "side" taking event, just a connection on the seriousness, much respect.

• Related Discussions

citrus pics :) just thought I would share a few

Q

Comments (12)
    Yep, they were in the pics, they would be on the left hand side of the pics showing the grouping of trees. I find it way too easy to laugh as fozzybeth... way way too easy. shes just... lets say unique ;) thanks for the comments thought :0 we'll see what the pics look like in a month or 2 heh the Pom doesn't look so good anymore... it has lost 80% of its leaves now :( ahh, the mess will be soon over and all the remaining trees BETTER keep all their leaves!!! I am really worried about WLD. I am NOT wanting to go through it, but... being I have alrady moved them in, I should be ok I think. the leave drop is due to the change in temp, and then... I just hope I am ok on it. no bugs so far on any trees... so hoping to be safe! Make sure fozzy beth knows how crazy I think she is, and how much I apreciate all she has done... and that I am waiting impatiently on haircuts hehehe
    ...See More

Do any of you grow 'Special Candy'?

Q

Comments (3)
    Certainly bloom color can be in part a function of soil, temperature, moisture, etc. I've grown SPECIAL CANDY since it came out.I generally take pictures very early AM and the area where SPEC. CANDY grows gets early AM shade, so I'm thinking the one with the more "yellowish" look was taken later in the day as it appears to have sun. The last picture was definitely taken very early AM before the sun was up. Here's the "sun" look: Here are two earlier AM shots( or that's my guess:)
    ...See More

special grow light

Q

Comments (3)
    Click on it, to wiew in full size. So-so. I used that only for two cuttings, which has doesn't rooted at my first try. Both two showed some new growth, but few weeks ago I just checked the stems, and the Nebel's Rainbow 's was very soft. The whole inside thing rotted, it was black and smelly. So it's game over. The other one is still standing. It has some little leaves (3-4 cm), but they aren't grow now. I think (or maybe I just hope) it going dormant. I dont't know, it has roots, or not. Anyway, I will find out that in next spring.
    ...See More

Do You Print Your Pictures?

Q

Comments (5)
    I am terrible at printing photos!! I also don't like the way my computer at home stores photos (don't like the look of it compared to how I was used to saving) and they're pretty unorganized. When DH and I got together we'd always buy cheapy camera and take photos. Photos of places we've been, goofy photos, caught you off guard photos... we have three huge photo albums filled up (in order) and then I got a new digital camera and we just stopped. :( I guess I'm lazy when it comes to digital. The stores that have the little photo maker things are always so busy. Ording online means paying for shipping which can be high if you're ordering a bunch. I have photos on CDs but for some reason I think it makes it more difficult to find and view. Much easier when they're physically right there. I do back everything up now because I once lost all my photos on my computer. Most weren't important but there were some of family and of Sylvester as a kitten. I know people store them online with sites like Snapfish and Shutterfly but what happens if that company goes under or something? I have photos on some of those sites but it kind of bothers me to think they're just sitting there, online. Forever? My family took gobs of photos over the years and had them developed. I loved and still do enjoy looking. I also love a good home video once in awhile. They all bring back fond memories of being a kid. I'll have to come up with a good system/get organized when we have kids since I know we'll take a bazillion photos.
    ...See More
  • hosta_freak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

CG,this is the only plant I have like this. My hostas have more to worry about,like the droughts we have had for the last 2 years,and the late spring freezes,which were also the last 2 years,than they do from HVX! I don't know what you personally do,but I don't dig up and move hostas every day. No hosta of mine will ever get infected from this hosta,which has been in this spot for a long time. I keep it,because it is mine,not yours,and I can do anything I like with my hostas,including digging up all 300+ that I own,and throwing them in a compost pile. Yes,I do know about HVX,but I avoid any new hosta with HVX that I see,and don't buy it! If this bothers you,I'm sorry,but I am keeping it. BTW,why don't you show us pics of your gardens? Are you afraid of people not liking what they see? Just a few thoughts for you to ponder. My hostas are coming up now,and more are on their way up. I don't know what else to tell you,since you are a newbie on this forum. Besides,this IS a forum,and all of us have a right to our opinion. Now,I have to get back to my real life. Phil

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

Phil,
    Relax. your property is yours. no problem there. It would seem I am not the only one suggesting you research more. Where I become frustrated is recomendations to others "not to worry-no problem" Why are you being so shallow to the info I gave you? I will try to post garden pics. asap

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

Pictures that are available for now, slideshow icon on right

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden photos-Home

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    15 years ago

Countrygarden, WOW! I'm speechless! What gorgeous gardens and pictures too. The pumpkin in the last pic is especially adorable.

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm not speechless,but CG,your gardens are beautiful! I promise,you will not see any more pictures of my Hvx plant again,and I will not talk about HVX ever again. You all are right, and I am wrong! I will pull all my pics of hosta plants from the forum. I've said it before to anyone who listen,that anyone can garden on FLAT land,but the real challenge is gardening on the side of a mountain,like I do! I'm sorry I bothered you with my petty garden. Phil

• hostarhodo
    15 years ago

Phil,
    Your plant picture of HVX shows everyone what it looks like, I would not know if I had not seen it on this forum. Please leave it there for the new people, for education.

If you choose to have a plant in your garden that is your choice. Maybe some day you will be the one to find a solution to clear it up or control it. Remember a weed is only a weed if you do not like or want it.

You have been here too long to give up on us now, and I have enjoyed your conversations over the years as well as the pictures you have posted.

I too was appalled at the bluntness of countrygarden01 as I read the posts. It is okay to try to educate and voice your opinion but insults are not necessary.

We are from far corners of this crazy world, some stay for a long time, come drop in now and then,some stir the pot, but there are the mainstays that we can rely on for good info and opinions and Phil you are one of these. Your quest to garden on a hill in the shade shows it can be done.

We come to the forum to gather info and to relax about something we all enjoy in our own way. There is too much bad stuff going on outside. I do not know how people can stand to be in conflict all the time. This is our peace and serenity, please keep it that way.

Please do not give up on all of us now, we need you.

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

Phil,
    I am confused as to why you want to portray yourself in this fashion. Everything I have tried to share with you has remained oblivious. Sorry for "picking on you". Continue as you are, I'm sure you'll be to flat ground in no time, at which you will find a utopia to garden in. Now c'mon; anyone seeing hvx or other problems with hosta as beautiful and harmless are simply going to have difficulties. You're stomping around is just not going to be justified. I refuse to continue in this childish manor. It is not a representation of any ethical gardener.

• alexis717_df
    15 years ago

Phil,
    I hope you are still there. I second everything hostarhodo said. You are one of the mainstays of this forum and I always enjoy reading your posts. We would miss you.

CG,
    We are not always going to agree with one another, which is one of the things I like about this forum. But I do feel that our opinions can and should be express without being combative or churlish.

• jakkig
    15 years ago

Phil - please don't pull your photos! It would be an incredible shame if you left this forum - I have learned so much from your posts and I know other 'newbies' have and will in the future.

CG - I know you are new to the forum so perhaps you weren't aware of how much Phil has shared - I've been working my way from the very last thread to the more recent (yes I'm a newly converted hostaholic and a little compulsive too!), so I have seen how much Phil knows about hostas, hosta growing, hvx etc. He is very generous in his willingness to share ideas and opinions - all to help us become better hosta growers and hostaholics!

There is much to be learned about hvx - and, as with all new research, there are conflicting opinions about transmission etc. The thrust of hvx information on this forum has been HVX Awareness: how to recognize it, how to take care of it in our gardens, how to approach big box stores, and helping each other find hostas from hvx-aware growers. Gosh, remember even hosta hybridizers were blindsided by this virus for years - I've come across several warning-labelled hostas in the Hosta Library. I am not going to second guess Phil, nor am I going to argue against your passionate feeling about his keeping an hvx plant in his garden. Both views have their adherents, and as with many controversial topics, I think we should agree to back off slowly and find other condusive things to discuss!

CG, you are, from the evidence in your photos, an excellent gardener, with obvious landscaping and aesthetic abilities and without a doubt you have much to share and much we can learn from. Phil's gardens are very different and he has much to teach us about gardening with hostas on slopes amongst everything else. We will all benefit from the expertise you both offer.

I will have to admit that I was, at first, a little taken aback by the tone of your posts. But then I realized is hard to express passion by the use of words alone - there is no body language to read and it is easy to give or take offense. I know I have caused it myself in other circumstances when I have written about something I feel very deeply about (OK! OK! gifted education, if you must know!!)

I hope both of you will take a little time to reconsider - Phil we love you and want you back!

CG please understand your passion both for gardening and against hvx is to be admired. However, on reflection, I hope you can see how that very passion, and your forthright presentation could have been interpreted as very combative especially from a "stranger" who'd just ridden into town!

I have a horror of conflict and tend to try to mediate whenever possible! Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing - but if it will help bring you both back to our table, then it will be worth it!

Jakki

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

Dr. L's recomendations:

Here is a link that might be useful: Concerns above & Beyond hvx

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

Jakki my Dear,
    ...................................................................................... I have thought long and hard about responding, just because some things are better left unsaid. It would be unfair and disrespectfull to you. I really am not as worked up as it may appear. I agree, it is a shame not to have pictures available for educational purposes. You have read through... when you make silly representations and poor advice it is only belittling yourself. At that point other opinions and facts are going to be brought to the table from other sources. It would seem foolish to aggravate it further with such a "pretty" picture and shallow principals. There was time to bail out when I presented the requested information. If you have egg on your face just admit it. You will receive respect. The selfishness that followed is/was self inflicted. You cannot remain oblivious to recomendations. It has and will be the destruction of man kind for eternity. People are going to step on you, again for such silliness. I don't pity that.
    I have no quams with what people want to do with there property. We are also given the right to free speech(opinions), no problem there. Just don't offer poor advice.
    I do feel it is a shame not to have the educational pictures and I am sure the Mountain Gardner needs to have his place in the sun to offer advice. No problem.

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

Dr. L education round 2,previous link. It would seem hvx is the lesser of the evils? All this assumption as too the "sap" being the only transmission of viruses/diseases does not hold up. It would seem we have microscopic insects/nematodes at work. The insects/nematodes can transfer the virus quickly and efficiently to the entire garden. Reliable sources and diligence are the only chance. You will feel better about yourself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look For Viruses Before Purchasing Hostas This Year.doc

• Babka NorCal 9b
    15 years ago

That info is from 2006. Is there something that is more current? Test strips are now available for home use, so you don't need to send in specimens for testing. The article tells you what to look for, but now we have learned that a plant can be infected but not show it for a few years. It seems to me that using due diligence and cleaning your tools often is what is the most practical for now. Know your sources and the steps they have taken to discourage the spread of all these problems.

-Babka

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

Babka,
    I understand the age of the article, viruses are still there/here so felt it was relevant. The point I thought was the most important is hvx may be the little guy and trv the big one. Everyone relates to hvx, not so much to trv. When there is such a strong stand about not worrying about insects transfering these viruses it seems good to clarify that is not the case. I think it is a good article for new and old hosta people, since nothing has changed for the better. I realize your level of education is up to date. We have to realize the small budget Dr. L has and continue to provide what is available. It would be nice to have some current info. to set some records straight. Findings are going to be a slow process and somewhat vague on a privately funded research program. The further we dig the more that is found. I think the best we can do for now is try to educate those that are not aware of the problems or in denial. One of the best things we can do, is stop supporting the market where much of this has/is coming from. My thought was to try to stop the source. I wish I could give some solid answeres hot off the press but they are just not there, which is the part that is most concerning. I am currently somewhere around campus every few weeks, whatever becomes available I will share.
    P.S. The test strips are a good start and I respect your diligence.

• jakkig
    15 years ago

Countrygarden:
    Unfortunately I couldn't read the first link you put in your posts - I keep getting a message saying my session has timed out. Anyway, I was wondering, who is Dr L? Does he have something to do with the AHS HVX research which is on-going? If not, do you know who is funding his research and why?
    I am very curious - wouldn't it be marvelous if the funding was coming from a big box store or a supplier to the big boxes!!
    My curiosity leads me to ask you a couple of personal question - I hope you don't mind...the photos of your garden were beautiful; are you a Master Gardener or do you have a horticultural or landscaping degree? You mentioned being around campus...
    I think it would be very interesting to have a new thread where people can show photos of their gardens and give insight into their thought for choosing the plants they did, the combinations etc. I know I'd be interested to find out,for instance, what choices have been made for paths through wooded areas - I've gone through 3 different tries and I'm still not satisfied...
    Would you consider starting or adding to such a thread?
    Jakki

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

Hi Jakki,
    I lost everything I had just given, I will try later.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    15 years ago

Just a quick note, Dr. L is Dr. Lockhart from the University of MN. He will be speaking at the Stearns County Hort Education Day to be Held at St. John's University, Collegeville, MN. His topic: HVX and Tobacco Rattle Virus.

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

HI,
    Dr.L is the head of research for the AHS. He diagnosed hvx in the early nineties when virused plants were being registered and sold as new varieties. He currently has a budget of $20,000 to work with which was by donation from the AHS and the growers association. I believe 20 was the amount needed to keep the research alive. That would seem like alot but by research standards it is nothing. I suspect soon there will be donations needed again. There are approximately between 6,000-7,000 members of different hosta clubs @ 5.00 per person we could contribute $30,000. Hopefully the growers association would also make a contribution. It would seem to be a shame to lose the one most familiar with viruses/diseases associated with hosta.

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

HI!,
    A little at a time. I doubt we will see any contributions from the "Box". I doubt they are familiar with the problem, if they have requested clean plants I'm sure they were guaranteed in some b.s. manor. When the time hopefully arrives that they can no longer move there product, will problems be seriously addressed. We have to remember all the problem hostas we have seen, they were not thrown, they ended up in someone's garden. I hope that is not yours/mine neighbor. I imagine many arguments will arise at that time and we will be forced to garden inches away from it.
    Hallson's has went out of their way to educate on the topics. They have a dvd available and the proceeds go to research hvx,etc. There are also other reliable sources making a stand.

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Countrygarden - what a gorgeous garden you have! I would love for you to come to my house and help me design some new beds I have planned.... I tend to just poke things in the ground where there is room without a lot of thought to the final plan, yours is beautiful!

Thanks for sharing your gallery!

Alexa

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

Alexa & Hostaholic,
    Thankyou! Your kind words are inspiring and much apreciated. I think Jakki's idea of a new thread is great. There we could discuss why this was done and how to get results. That is specifically why I had joined was to further my garden education. I was hoping it would help prevent all the trial and errors.
    It would also be good for everyone to colaberate their info. on hosta viruses.

Jakki, Link 1&2 are the same.

Later, Rick

• jakkig
    15 years ago

Rick - thanks for the information on Dr. L. I've just joined the AHS and would be happy to contribute to a research fund.
    I hope the thread I suggested gets off the ground! There is always something new to learn - and for some of us, there is A LOT to learn.
    Any chance Dr. L's talk can be video'd and posted on AHS site, UTube or something like that? Am going to check out the Hallson's video.
    Again, thanks...