SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karam8672

ailing hoya carnosa-lengthy

karam8672
19 years ago

A friend who has many hoyas (carnosas) gave me one last Sept. It had been hanging on her porch all summer. I noticed at the time that it was the only hoya she had w/no blooms, that it was severely pot-bound (it was warping it's plastic pot), that it had whitish spots on the leaves, and that the soil was hard, cracked, bone-dry, compacted and pulling away from container edges!! BUT I felt it would be rude to refuse an un-solicited gift, and thought maybe I could turn it around. I asked her husband (who tends the plants) about its care and he cheerfully said "Oh, anything! It's tough!" Well, he was right in one way- it has survived this long w/ it's obvious issues, but I haven't managed to make it flourish. The white spots have not appeared on any of the new leaves (the few that there are!) but are still on the original leaves. It hasn't bloomed, it's barely grown at all. I repotted it into a 3" larger hanging basket- I didn't know what to do about the compaction as I know it's roots don't like to be disturbed too much and it was so pot-bound the roots grew up almost to the very surface- I lightly loosened the very top layer w/a fork. It's had a few showers, it's been fed (not to excess, and not in winter), it gets the same amount of light as my luxuriant Swedish Ivy, and I've transformed the soil from PALE grey hard-pan to regular soil (though still compacted from 1/2" down) without over-watering- I let it dry out. Maybe it just needs a summer, and to fill its pot, but I would appreciate further advice. Oh, also- should I prune off the newest leaves to encourage branching? It's pretty straggly- I pinch off my other plants, but it's had so few new leaves I haven't yet been able to bear removing them...

Comments (7)

Sponsored