SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liz321_gw

Where to locate Giant hosta

Liz321
11 years ago

My sister is removing sections of probably 10 giant hosta varieties and giving them to me. My issue is where do I place them in a yard with pretty much all sun, except under a Pine in a corner, or along the back of the house.

The house faces due south, so I would plant them on the north back side of the house in the shadow of the house. Last year, I put in a smaller hosta bed with huechera on the same side of the house at the back of the garage and that has been doing really well. The rest of the back of the house is sided, and bare. Around the small deck in the corner is also an option, but it does get a bit more sun there.

Other option: I would love to do something under the pine tree and make that corner a lovely spot, but I don't know if the giants will do well there or If i would need to make major soil additions to give them a chance.
It is also so darn ugly at the back of the yard, I would like to see something improve so I want to sit on the deck again! Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

I also have more medium and species hosta to relocate, so I could mix things around I guess? Also coming in the transplant will be half a dozen very tall grasses that need to go someplace. :)

The view from the deck facing North East has been planted with Smoke bushesand is full sun so I ruled that area out completely.

Pictures here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/?start_tab=one_set72157633097949564&mode=together

Here is a link that might be useful: back yard

Comments (6)