SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
franknjim

What I am up against (Ken, don't look!) lol

franknjim
12 years ago

I dug up my last NOID last year and took some pics during the process. It had been growing there 10' away from a very large Silver Maple for about 10 years. The S&S next to it has been there for 10 years as well.

{{gwi:946089}}
The root ball I dug up was about 10"-12".

{{gwi:946091}}
Anytime I dig up a hosta I wash off all of the soil if I am putting it in a pot or dividing it. Lots o' Maple feeder roots. It is so difficult to plant or dig anything up in this garden.

{{gwi:946092}}
For years I have rarely fed my hostas anything other than water and the occasional Miracle Grow once in a blue moon. This year I am going to feed on a schedule and see what happens. I have been growing 40 or so hosta in the basement for the past month and I noticed something different with the 1g pot of Golden Tiara that I accidentaly brought inside. It is huge. Much bigger than any that grow outdoors in the ground or in pots. I have a hard time throwing them away so I have them everywhere. The difference is that the one I have in the house has been getting fed everytime I water with a half strength liquid fertilizer. This will be my year of feeding everything outside everytime I water which is 3-4 times a week. It should be interesting. I have never done it before.

Comments (12)