SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
butterflygardener_gw

Urgent message re: PBC Cooperative Extension

16 years ago

Please help out if you feel this is an important service. Here is info I received from a fellow MG! Sorry it is so long! Contact me for a list of County Commissioners if you need their info! Thanks, Kat

"At the September 6th BCC Public Budget Hearing, it was proposed that the Palm Beach County Cooperative Extension Service be eliminated. This includes all programs (Environmental Horticulture, Agriculture, Family and Consumer Sciences and 4-H). The Commissioners will vote on the proposal at the final BCC Budget Hearing on September 20th at 6 pm in the West Palm Beach Government Center (301 N. Olive Ave.). This is only 9 days away!

Any help you can provide in encouraging members of the Spring 2007 Master Gardener Class and citizens in general to contact our Commissioners to share how they value the Palm Beach County Cooperative Extension Service and/or attend the final BCC Budget Hearing on September 20th would be greatly appreciated!

Although targeted at Extensions Agriculture audience, the following email from Dr. Sosa demonstrates the seriousness of the situation. Please cut/paste/edit it as you see fit to share with others who value the programs offered by Cooperative Extension.Hello to all,

Audrey Norman, County Cooperative Extension Service Director, called a staff meeting this morning at 8:30. Laura and I were also invited since we are part of their budget. I was truly shocked and could not believe my ears, the recommendations made by the County Budget Oversight Committee. Recommendations were presented to the Board of County Commissioners on Wednesday September 5th. by Jack A. Warner. This Committee is recommending the COMPLETE ELIMINATION of the County Cooperative Extension Service and all its programs: Agriculture, Family and Consumer Services, Agricultural Economic Development , and 4-H Youth Program, and to eliminate or transfer Mounts Botanical Garden to Park and Recreation.

The final budget meeting will take place Thursday September 20th at 6 pm at the Government Center County Commissioners chambers on 301 N. Olive, downtown W. Palm. This means there are only 10 DAYS to support and express the benefits provided by Extension to the community, and there are MANY!. Extension is the link that conveys the results of research generated by Federal and State Agencies to the public. This is also the department that trains and certify pesticide applicators, protecting our environment, our food supply, and the personal safety of applicators. Eliminating this Department without contemplating the consequences in my opinion is totally irresponsible and reflects a total lack of knowledge and/or understanding of the Cooperative Extension Service mission in our County. What is amazing to me, is that this came up just 15 days before the final budget decision is to be made. If this was being contemplated, this should have been made known much, much earlier.

This "move" should not be allowed to go unanswered. I urge everyone to please meet, write, email, or call each and every County Commissioner to express your support for Extension. It is possible that one, if not many of their programs has impacted your life, and if this is the case, let them know.

Hope to see you there,"

Comments (24)