SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

For Your Discriminating Hoya

greedygh0st
13 years ago

As you know from my earlier thread about spring cleaning, I'm in the middle of a mass as-needs repotting, and I'm taking this opportunity to make some medium switches for plants I've gotten to know a bit better.

I thought it might be useful to ask you guys what Hoyas you grow in a medium or blend different from your default. Or, really, any plant-specific strategy you feel like sharing.

I've researched all of my plants, but it's a lot more useful to hear someone expound on their personal experiences than read a cryptic one line "Keep moist."

Personally, I keep bella and multiflora in a very dense medium and they are acting happy so far, so I guess I'm not going to change it even though it's not very Hoyaish.

Mitrata is in hydroton, thanks to Joni, and it does awesome that way.

Macrophylla var. is in coir chunks and I think I'm going to switch some of my other moisture-loving plants that are still acting funky despite being kept moist to this setup, (e.g. bella 'Luis Bois').

I'm switching villosa and dasyantha to an even drainier mix. I don't know what the issue is with these guys, really, but they used to be happy in the corporate apartment and aren't as happy now. The windows there were brighter, they were closer, and they were drying out a lot faster. So, I think I either need to move them or change their mix, or both.

Finlaysonii was acting crappy all fall, and then I put it in the aquarium over the winter and now it's acting like it's been born to grow. So... I'm thinking I'll keep it under high artificial light for a while and see if that's what it was responding to. If it was just the warmth, too bad, I can't do much about that.

I almost lost polystachya to overwatering this winter, so, um. In need to try to make that less likely to happen. I've been ignoring it in the aquarium for a while and it's growing back what it lost, so perhaps for this one, for me, a teeny bit of neglect is the solution.

I'm thinking nummularioides needs to be rescued from me, too. Perhaps a higher draining mix, here, because it's alternating between growing and dying, and that's definitely my doing.

Pusilla is strangely not so thrilled with me. Seems like a robust plant and isn't dying off, but looks a bit dehydrated all the time. This might just be a reroot me situation.

I haven't decided yet what to do with my other not-dying-but-less-than-thrilled plants: longifolia, obscura var. longipedunculata, pimenteliana, pubera, walliniana

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living