SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lalalandwi

Kphite

lalalandwi
14 years ago

Another great thread the fell off the board.

Any more experience to be mentioned? Losing from Sept thru Nov is quite scary for me as I'm moving in 1.5 weeks. Still good news on this?

o
Kphite Systemic Fungicid

clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

PrintPage

Posted by lotodig z6Mid Tenn (My Page) on

Wed, Oct 24, 07 at 13:41

I recently made a note from a post here about someone that was talking about this product and that it was a "cure" for crown rot. I would like to find that post again but haven't been able to. Anyone remember where it is?

Thanks for any info..........Wendy

Follow-Up Postings:

o

RE: Kphite Systemic Fungicid

PrintPage

* Posted by okbt z4NY (My Page) on

Wed, Oct 24, 07 at 13:52

The rust one-2 subjects down

o

PrintPage

* Posted by lotodig z6Mid Tenn (My Page) on

Wed, Oct 24, 07 at 14:02

Thanks okbt but I'm a little dense...there are a couple of postings on rust. One is "Why would anyone sell daylilies knowing they have rust" and the other is "Rust 2007" I looked at both but didn't see it, what am I missing?

Thanks again ....... Wendy

o

PrintPage

* Posted by beachlily (My Page) on

Wed, Oct 24, 07 at 14:06

Wendy, I'm the one who introduced the subject. I'm in Central Fl, among the growers who don't tell us about such things. A friend in north FL clued me in and my club is conducting a test on the effectiveness this product.

Kphite was originally introduced as a fertilizer.

I sprayed all my daylilies with this product on Oct. 10. This morning I was removing some to give to a friend. All 7 cultivars showed substantial new root growth. Also, four plants that had shown signs of rot are now growing like gangbusters. More details as we all get more experience.

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them. You can send me an email through the Gardenweb system if you would like.

o

PrintPage

* Posted by katlynnlily 8b-FL (My Page) on

Wed, Oct 24, 07 at 15:00

beachlily, thanks for the info on Kphite. Your results so far sound promising! I do have one question... Where did you buy Kphite? Please give us an update as you get more details.

Kathy

o

PrintPage

* Posted by suncoastdaylily z10 FL (My Page) on

Wed, Oct 24, 07 at 15:52

Beachlily,

I didn't know you were using the Kphite. Where did you get it from. Keep us posted on how this is working with your daylilies.

Elaine

o

PrintPage

* Posted by beachlily 9b-beachside (My Page) on

Wed, Oct 24, 07 at 17:16

I've only been using Kphite since Oct. 10. Results are promising, but preliminary.

According to Plant Food Systems website, K-phite is a systemic fungicide that protects, defends and restores plants by activating plants' auto immune and defensive systems. This is easy to understand when you realize it started as a fertilizer. The fungicide's label says that it is used to control Pythium, Downy Mildew, Powdery Mildew, Phytopthora, fire blight , bacterial Blight, and Anthracnose and various other diseases of ornamentals. It can be used as a foliar spray or soil drench (foliar spray recommended by daylily grower). I used a rate of 4 tsp/gal. It is nontoxic (that's important to me).

I don't know how effective this stuff will be, for instance, when sprayed in those parts of TX that have had masses of rain. I'll probably get a chance to try that too.

Kphite costs $87 for 2.5 gallons. I purchased it from Mike Panza (his sales territory is Florida and he works for J.P. McCone Plant Food Systems). His phone number is 386-961-4379.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kphite

o

PrintPage

* Posted by maryslc z5-6 (My Page) on

Sun, Oct 28, 07 at 22:41

Thank you for this link. It is always nice to find new ideas or research.

I do not use sprays, but I would certainly consider providing a nutrient to strengthen a plant.

o

Any news on K-phite use and success?

PrintPage

Wed, Mar 19, 08 at 21:15

beachlily, anything new you can report on your use of K-phite? With the growing season coming up I was hoping there was some postive news you knew about or could share as far as controlling rust and crown rot with the use of this product.

Anyone else have any experience that they believe is postive.

o

PrintPage

* Posted by beachlily 9b Ponce Inlet (My Page) on

Thu, Mar 20, 08 at 9:18

Thanks for bringing up the subject!

I've been using Kphite routinely for the last about 6 moths. No rot problems now, but usually our rot issues show up with hot weather. I have not found Kphite to be very effective in rust control, but that MAY be a matter of longer term use. It has "bulked" up my plants so that they look comparable to the professional growers. In fact, one of the smaller growers has ordered both Kphite and Foundation, another product that the same company sells.

My first bloom opened this morning! Thrilled! The plants are huge, and they are beginning to divide. Scapes are everywhere.

My conclusion is that Kphite is very effective in treating rot. I haven't lost anything in the last 6 months. Its very effective as a soak for new plants. It minimizes transplanting shock. I soak plant in a fairly strong Kphite mix while I'm preparing pots or planting space. When the daylily is potted, I pour the Kphite mix around the roots after watering the plant into its location. I just don't find the Kphite to be effective against rust, but I'm smack dab in the middle of the strongest rust area and that may be the problem.

Does this help??

o

PrintPage

Thu, Mar 20, 08 at 20:00

beachlily, thanks so much for the info. I hope that you are right about the k-phite being effective against rot. I will be using it this season and hope to see the same results, although I haven't lost that many, I hate to lose even one when they cost so much. How many plants do you have and about how many losses did you experience before you started useing k-phite as compared to now.

I'll bet you are excited about your blooms, mine haven't started scaping yet, but they are growing good.

o

PrintPage

* Posted by beachlily (My Page) on

Thu, Mar 20, 08 at 21:59

I usually grow abut 150 plants. I'm on a small beach-side lot just south of Daytona Beach. Right now I have 155 plants in my inventory and I have 30 pots to go to a sale in two weeks. I've lost maybe 6 plants a year during Sept-Nov. That a huge time for us because of hot temperatures and rain. This year I've lost none. I'm careful about planting in warmer times, but sometimes plants become available in Oct. when its still hot. If they are potted I leave them. If bareroot, I treat with Kaphite.

In last year's Regional (May) I purchase MAGNIFICENT HUMMINGBIRD. It had been donated by a local grower. The planting mix was so heavy that MH rotted from 6 fans to 1. Just this afternoon I purchased another double fan that was given to me as 4 fans to replace that pot. I don't think the plant is rot-prone, but I didn't have Kphite at that time and lost almost all of it. The remaining fan is growing (I've used Kphite on it), but I wanted a healthy df to continue growing. They are in different areas of the garden. I hope for really good blooms from both of them--the single fan will have to wait to next year.

o

do you buy Gilbert H. Wild DL's

PrintPage

* Posted by weldontx z 8a TX (My Page) on

Mon, Mar 24, 08 at 0:19

If you are in North TX, and have purchased DL's from Gilbert H. Wild, please let me know. Comment on Quality of plant,

true to name/color; vigor, etc., service...

OR is it better to buy from farms that specialize in

daylilies?

Weldon

o Post a Follow-Up

User Name: lalalandwi [If you aren't lalalandwi, please click here.]

Zone (optional):

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link:

Return to the Daylily Forum

iVillage GardenWeb: The Internet's Garden & Home Community

Join : Garden Forums : Home Forums : Exchanges & Trading : Member Pages : Contact Us

2006 iVillage Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Service : Privacy Policy : Policies FAQ : Advertising

iVillage Home & Garden Network

Comments (17)