SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Lets crack the Hoya sp Tanna Island code

mdahms1979
13 years ago

Recently there has been some talk about the infamous Hoya sp Tanna Island and how difficult it is to bring to bloom. I don't have this Hoya myself but I thought it might be interesting to see if we could figure out what might be needed to get this Hoya to bloom.

After a little searching online I discovered that Thanna Island is one of the Southern most islands in the Pacific island nation of Vanauatu. I could not find detailed information on the weather patterns on Tanna but I did find out that the Southern islands that include Tanna are much dryer than the islands to the North. Tanna Island experiences about 2000mm of rain per year where the Northern islands experience up to 4000mm. Temperature range from the upper 20's Celsius in July to 30C in January so there is not a dramatic change in temperature from season to season. The highest point on the island is Mt. Yasur and at 360 Meters above sea level it does not offer a cooler temperature zone and is covered in volcanic cinder and a fairly barren landscape.

I think that the best bet to coax this Hoya into bloom is to give a dryer period each year followed by a wet and warm growing season.

For anyone who has grown this Hoya can you describe your watering habits. Have you tried growing dryer for the winter and then watering often during the summer? Does your plant seem to grow equally throughout the year?

I know there are several forum members with large sp Tanna plants and it would be great to see if we can get some of them to bloom.

Mike

Comments (11)

Sponsored