SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hostales

Culling hostas, and an issue on ethics!

hostaLes
12 years ago

Following the "Overload" posting by leafwatcher I had begun thinking about replacing a hosta that has not performed up to my expectations (Great Expectations not included; it always seems to cull itself) with another of the same or similar variety.

Do you cull yours, and if so, how fast do you pull the trigger? I have a few that I had given up on but for some reason hadn't yanked them out and then suddenly they matured into one of my most impressive hostas.

Then comes the issue of ethics. When and if I cull a plant that doesn't, in my eye meet the quality I expected when I bought it, would it be considered unethical to give it away to someone who is happy to "just get a free hosta"? I sometime take small cuttings from a hosta that has performed well for me and make new starts to give to family and friends once they become established.

But when it comes to hostas I tend to be a collector, as well as a Collector. I hate to kill anything unless it seems a mercy killing. I would have no problem throwing an hvx infected hosta on the street and running over it 1000 times with my truck. (lol) My collector tendancy however is in direct conflict with my ethicity (see footnote)- I would feel guilty giving away a substandard hosta. Yet I realize beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, so if someone accepts it as a gift he or she must like it.

I would like to hear how you think about this issue. Getting new hostas is FUN and culling would give me opportunity.

Les

footnote: For you english teachers out there I admit I have no idea if "ethicity" is a valid word but it sounds good to me!

Comments (16)