SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

overwintering Lemon Verbena

I have a 3 year old Lemon Verbena. This spends summer outside in a pot. It has been pinched a lot so is like a well-branched little tree; about 18" high and at least that wide. I have been wintering this indoors every year, though it gets so scruffy it is unattractive most of the winter, gets pale, loses lots of leaves, etc. I have remodelled the rooms where I used to overwinter plants, so no longer feel like I can just let it "flop and drop" (DH would complain...). To make it look better I planted a short geranium in the same pot, which fills the bare area around the trunk.

I wanted to try cutting it back, but I did that this spring with another LV (that had survived the winter well enough) and it promptly died. So they doesn't seem to resprout lower down if the tips re cut.

Is there a better way of doing this? I should mention that I have not been successful at rooting tip cuttings. Can they be made to go dormant like some people do with geraniums?

This plant was given to me by a relative, when I mentioned that I can't buy it in my area. I use the leaves for my linens.

Comments (11)