SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julia42

Considering planting my mint in ground - somebody smack me!

julia42
12 years ago

So when we moved into our new home, it came with a large patch of mint. Over the past year and a half I've worked diligently to eradicate the mint, since this is my veggie spot. I'm sure the war is not over. Anyhow, this is to say that I understand how ridiculously invasive mint can be.

Recently I bought a chocolate mint plant at a nursery, with plans of keeping it in a pot. Well, I've discovered that I'm totally crazy about chocolate mint. I'd be so so happy to have a cup of c. mint tea every day. Or maybe two cups. My little potted plant isn't producing enough for me, so against my better judgement I'm considering planting it in ground.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to plant it that I won't totally regret? I was thinking about maybe in the lawn somewhere, so it wouldn't invade my beds? I have a spot under the playground where grass doesn't grow well, but it's shady so I don't know if that's okay (we're in Texas - most plants like a little shade here...). I've also thought about planting it beside the AC pad, since not much grows there either, and it's pretty isolated, but it's about 4 feet from the foundation and I have pest treatments done around the foundation so that may be a little too close...

Alright, everybody - unleash your rants about planting mint in the ground!

Comments (11)