SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nadia_

Mint plant

nadia_
18 years ago

Hello all,

i would really appreciate it if someone would be able to take the time to respond to some of my queries. They may sound a bit silly, i apologize, i am new to indoor/outdoor gardening. Apologies in advance for the length of this post.

For residents of Calgary, Canada - does that signify Zone 9b? i tried figuring it out via the Cdn government's agriculture website, but for some reason it's not working at the moment (or maybe i am not using it properly).

At a farmers' market i bought a small mint plant today that has multiple stems and quite a few leaves. It seems to be in good shape. The person who sold it stated that the mint plant could be planted outside right now, provided mulch was laid over it.

Bearing in mind Calgary's frigid temperatures during winter, i am a bit hesitant to do this for fear of killing the mint. It might also be too late (i'm guessing) to plant mint outside... i am wondering if the transplanting shock alone wouldn't be sufficient to kill the poor thing? i am a new gardener as well and still get confused with fertilizer/peat moss/mulch etc and i know i am bound to mess something up.

SO -- if i left the mint plant indoors until next spring, will it survive indoors, or should i really just plant it outside carefully, cover it with lots of mulch after the first frost, and hope for the best? Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)