SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macthayer

How do YOU start your Daylily seeds?

macthayer
15 years ago

I have a story of woe. Two years ago, I made my first attempt at starting daylily seeds. I started with almost 150 seeds (bought off eBay). I planted them in a soilless germinating medium, and thought I gave them good drainage. Of the 150 seeds, 33 germinated. Of those, 4 were albinos (!). Of the remaining plants, 2 died of some unknown reason. The remaining 27 developed into hardy looking plants. (Note: The seeds that didn't germinate seemed to rot -- I think I kept them too moist. And no, I didn't pre-soak them). Since they were so big -- I started them the preceding January under lights -- I decided to overwinter them in the greenhouse. I'd read where the worst thing you can do is overwater plants in the greenhouse, so I got a water meter, and watered very judiciously all winter. In the spring, ONE plant re-emerged. It's growing nicely in my garden, but holy cow! 150 seeds and only one plant! And yes, I now know about the bamboo chopsticks from Walmart, and use them instead of that stupid water meter (which is useless -- does not correlate with the chop sticks at all), so all of the plants I overwintered the following year, save one, did just fine.

So now I have two 8' by 12' beds stuffed full of daylilies of all kinds -- at least 30 different kinds, if not more. And many are making pods, and I'm dying to see what Mother Nature has done in terms of crossing the daylilies, but that means I need to germinate the seeds! I've read the books -- look what that got me! I know experience is better than books, and experience is what I find here on the Garden Web. I'm willing to start planting now, as I have two sets of good grow lights, and the seeds I've gotten so far are deep black and plump. Or should I wait? I also have south facing windows I can move these to when I want to start my spring plantings. What would you do, and how would you do it? What kind of growing medium do you use? An inquiring mind wants to know! Any help you can offer would be most appreciated. MacThayer

Comments (8)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm