SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindeea_gw

A KNIGHT for MsMarion

15 years ago

Last week Dennis and I thought the fluffy poufs on the purple stem of the night blooming cereus were weird. We thought maybe they are going to be new stems, or an insect wound a web for eggs. Tonight, the Night belongs to MsMarion!!

{{gwi:914943}}

{{gwi:914944}}

Thank you sweetheart for sharing this beautiful cactus with me! Love ya

Comments (9)

• 15 years ago

That is so Martian!
    I love it.
    Felix

• 15 years ago

That's a gorgeous flower! Is it fragrant too?

• 15 years ago

Martian, Felix? Really? I guess the purple stem is kinda bizzare. Don't know why it went from green to purple, but I kinda like it!

Kara, it's in a tight spot, but I tried to get my nose near. Usually cereus have fragrance. It was after some rain and it had just opened. I detected no smell from as close as I could get, but I bet later in the night it was heavenly.

• 15 years ago

I also think the flower has an alien aspect to it...a BEAUTIFUL alien, to be sure, but it is definitely exotic! Great photo, Cindee, and I'm glad you have this wonder to enjoy.

Thanks for sharing!

Marcia

• 15 years ago

Oh how cool, is the whole plant purple?

Sylvia

• 15 years ago

Yeah, Sylvia. It's all purple, it is winding around one of the posts of my grape arbor. It started out green, then turned purple when I put it in the ground. It's really long, too about 4 feet or so.

• 15 years ago

Nice job Cindee. Sure you get a cutting from me (mine came from Evelyn...Thanks Evelyn!) and get flowers. Mine still hasn't bloomed and it's been a couple of years.
    Thanks for the pictures!

• 15 years ago

Marion, I can't believe it!! This plant is huge, rather LONG and snakey. We really couldn't believe the fuzzy buds turned into such pretty flowers. Dang it, it only lasted one night. Noe it looks like some kind of droopy faced creature only Jim Hanson could create! Do you have your in the ground MsM??

• 15 years ago

Cindee it's in the ground, in full sun with mulch. I'm thinking it hasn't gotten enough water. The bottom foot or
    so is a red color. I have it tied to a 4x4 that was made to grow dragon fruit on.