SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

Oh Cycadjungle...............!

annafl
15 years ago

Hi Tom,

I met you maybe 3-4 years ago at your place. You were nice enough to give me and my DH a grand tour of your spectacular place and your amazing cycads/palms. I still have several plants I got from you that are doing great and that I love.

That day, you gave us two encephalartos ferox seeds and gave me instructions on how to plant them in a pot with sand, etc. I did just as you instructed. Just when I was about to give up, I saw first one seedling, then eventually two. Eventually I planted both plants in the ground, and they have grown slowly but steadily. I am so proud of them! I have been meaning to show you and today I finally took a photo. Here is one of them:

Thanks for the opportunity to try.

I also have a question. I have this dioon spinulosum that I've had for many years and carried to three properties. It has been at this last property about 3 years or a little less. Just recently it has developed its first cone! Can you tell me whether it is male or female? I have other dioons that are smaller and that don't have cones. I live about 2 miles from Selby where there are many dioons. Is there any chance it could get pollinated naturally? I don't really care, just curious. I was really excited when I saw a cone.

Thank-you for educating us about these beautiful and amazing plants.

Anna

Comments (8)