SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loveshydrangeas_gw

Drying herbs/Houston

LovesHydrangeas
18 years ago

Greetings. I have searched 'drying herbs' and read all the posts I could find, but still have questions - please forgive me if I've overlooked previously given advice.

Due to the accident of neglect this summer (trying to save other plants through 6 weeks of NO rain followed by two weeks of daily flooding storms) we've ended up with thriving oregano and rosemary plants. I'd like to dry them - have previously tried the 'hang upside down' method but never got anything but wilty plants because of the humidity. Do any of you humid climate folks think the brown bag method would work, or should I go ahead and buy a dehydrator? I'd rather not buy yet another machine, but if I have to I will. And, as far as I can tell reading posts, sounds like the only way to go with basil is the freezer route?

Has anyone had luck drying upside down in super humid climates?

Thanks so much in advance for any thoughts. The Gardenweb is such a wonderful resource - not many years ago we'd all have to be in the library instead of being able to find insight and generous advice from all over the country at the touch of a button!

Comments (7)