SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lellie_gw

Federal endangered species list for Florida

lellie
16 years ago

I was gonna post this elsewhere, but there really aren't a lot of GW Forums full of Floridians...other than here...LOL

I was reading our weekly Islander newspaper when I spied this short piece concerning our state.

I'd not even heard of half of these critters...but after reading the article and researching each and every species on this list...I feel saddened.

Apparently, this decline in native species is due primarily to habitat degradation, pollution and the introduction of non-native species (*cough!!!).

Sound familiar??????????

How many of these are you folks familiar with?

The list for Manatee and Sarasota counties includes:

Audubon's Crested caracara, Eastern Indigo snake, Florida Scrub Jay, Gray bat, Perdido Key beach mouse, West Indian manatee (*sniff!), & Wood Stork.

Statewide endangered species includes:

American Crocodile, Anastasia Island beach mouse, Atlantic salt marsh snake, Bluetail mole skink, Everglade snail kite, Fat three-ridge mussel, Gulf moccasin shell, Hawksbill sea turtle, Kemp's ridley sea turtle, Key Largo cottonmouse, Key Largo woodrat, Leatherback sea turtle, Lower Keys marsh rabbit, Oval Pigtoe, Purple bankclimber, red wolf, rice rat, roseate tern, sand skink, Schaus swallowtail butterfly, shinyrayed pocketbook, Southeastern beach mouse, squirrel chimney cave shrimp and Stock island tree snail.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths