SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

More 'quotes' of famous men in government!

Janice
14 years ago

Thomas Jefferson:

There is not a truth existing which I fear... or would wish unknown to the whole world.

To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Power is not alluring to pure minds.

Whenever a man has cast a longing eye on offices, a rottenness begins in his conduct.

When a man assumes a public trust he should consider himself a public property.

Whenever you do a thing, act as if all the world were watching.

No man will ever carry out of the Presidency the reputation which carried him into it.

The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object

of good government.

Whenever the people are well-informed, they can be trusted with their own government.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be

always kept alive.

That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves.

Never spend your money before you have earned it.

It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.

I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be.

Information is the currency of democracy.

Delay is preferable to error.

It takes time to persuade men to do even what is for their own good.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people

under the pretense of taking care of them.

That government is the strongest of which every man feels himself a part.

Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools

for the designs of ambition.

The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time.

Liberty is to the collective body, what health is to every individual body. Without health no pleasure can be tasted

by man; without liberty, no happiness can be enjoyed by society.

Leave no authority existing ,not responsible to the people.

Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits

at the dawn of day.

Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are

its only safe depositories.

Experience hath shown, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have,

in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

I know of no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves;

and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion,

the remedy is not to take it from them but to inform their discretion.

Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse,

or rest on inference.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others.

I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the

rights of the individual.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would

save one-half the wars of the world.

It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong.

A coward is much more exposed to quarrels than a man of spirit.

Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

It is neither wealth nor splendor; but tranquility and occupation which give you happiness

A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away

the rights of the other forty-nine.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and

improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

I own that I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive.

Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of himself. Can he, then be trusted

with the government of others? Or have we found angels in the form of kings to govern him? Let history

answer this question.

Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto.

Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any.

It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing.

He who knows best knows how little he knows.

Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it.

Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.

Force is the vital principle and immediate parent of despotism.

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.

I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause

for withdrawing from a friend.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending

too small a degree of it.

I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth, who believes nothing

than he who believes what is wrong.

It is in our lives and not our words that our religion must be read.

It is our duty still to endeavor to avoid war; but if it shall actually take place, no matter by whom brought on,

we must defend ourselves. If our house be on fire, without inquiring whether it was fired from within or without,

we must try to extinguish it.

No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, and no culture comparable to that of the garden.

Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled

under all circumstances.

Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none.

To penetrate and dissipate these clouds of darkness, the general mind must be strengthened by education.

We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator

with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.

Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit:

by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence.

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.

Comments (5)