SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katkin_gw

Dragon Fruit

katkin_gw
16 years ago

I have a epip in a pot that has a twisted form, I think it flowers at night, I never seen them, only the spent blooms and they are very small. It produces a small fruit like a dragon fruit about the size of a golf ball, is this really a dragon fruit? Can I eat it?

Comments (118)

• meiyi
    16 years ago

I think I really like this site already.

Tony,
    Oh wow, that'd be nice to have that kind of title on me. Anyways, I've took in mind what you've said and I've already make a small(plastic)pot and filled it with soil that I kind of took fromt this other plant(but I think it should be fine).....I've only just watered it, nothing else. When I went back inside. I pealed an scooped not even half of a spoon full of the dragon fruit and started picking away the seeds. I ended up getting about 60 seeds.
    Then I washed them threw a net looking thing I had around the kitchen. It was weird...they hey this jelloie coating around the seeds that made them feel slipery.

Cindeea,
    Hello, nice to meet you. More about me? Well, I'll be going into the 11th grade when school starts, and I really want to plant strawberries but I dont know how. I was hoping maybe I should buy a stawberry plant from Home Depot or somethihng. I haven't really grown anything. I'm kinda the Water Girl, and I water the herbs we have in the backyard. I'd also like to grow flowers if i can.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

meiyi-again I am impressed by your interest. Ask away about anything that you have interests in, there are many mentors here. Have you tried starting just some seeds, like you are doing with the dragon fruit? Seeds are fun to grow. If we can help you in any way just let us know!

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Purple haze dragon fruit. and American beauty fruit

Q

Comments (5)
    I have cuttings of Purple Haze if you are still looking. Would love a cutting of your dwarf dragon fruit. Is this the orange variety?
    ...See More

Pomegranate and Dragon fruit not fruiting

Q

Comments (7)
    Murahilin, The physical graffiti for what I understand is self fertilie and does not need hand pollination. Usually Dragon fruits that don't self pollinate need to be done by hand but you need pollen from a different Dragon fruit plant not related to the one you have. In other words, if you have multiple plants that originated from the same mother plant, won't work. In your case, If it's a true Phisical Graffiti, it should of pollinated itself. I have a Vietnamese Dragon fruit in the ground myself for two years and hasn't flowered. I did some research reading posts and looking at videos from Edgar Valdivia who is a well known Dragon Fruit (Pitaya) grower in California. He stated that it may take up to 4 years to fruit depending on the conditions. Link for Edgar's website http://www.edvaldivia.com/ Good Luck
    ...See More

Dragon Skin fruit (not dragon fruit)

Q

Comments (2)
    Wow, nice sleuthin! Sure looks like it to me. Those spines look friggin lethal. And you get to hand pollinate it to boot! I looked at one of the sights on the list http://www.capetrib.com.au/salak.htm Never ceases to amaze me how little I know about the fruits world.
    ...See More

Growing Dragon Fruit from seed in North Florida

Q

Comments (8)
    You can hand pollinate them. The hawk/hummingbird moths will also pollinate them. They are very attracted to cestrum nocturnum and white hedychium/butterfly gingers. I make sure to grow some near the dragonfruits or anything else I want pollinated. The Hawk moths seem most abundant in late summer through fall. Fruit bats will also pollinate them. If you can grow a few diff dragonfruit varieties and cross pollinate them, manually, you should get fruit for sure. You can save pollen in the freezer and thaw to room temperature to use as flowers open since sometimes the flowers don't all bloom at the same time. Sorry for any typos..my phone keyboard is terrible lol.
    ...See More
  • meiyi
    16 years ago

Cindeea,
    Well, I have some questions, but non of them are poping up.
    Oh, heres one, since the Dragon fruit tree looks like a cactus, dose the tree poke you as well? That'd be kinda funny, haha.

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

meiyi,

YES, the darn Dragon Fruit plant has stickers alright. BUT the good thing is, they seem to stay in the plant and not in your arms or hands.

After being stuck a few times, you will learn how to deal with the monster plant. First though, we need to get you one started.

By the way, I also did something with the seeds. I put them in a small glass of water.

You do the dirt thing, I will do the water thing and lets see what happens.

Tony

• meiyi
    16 years ago

Tony,
    Can you trim these cactus like normal trees without hurting them?
    I'm getting really excited. Should I plant all 60 seeds or so all at one time tomorrow?

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

meiyi,

I have trimmed my dragon fruit in order to share pieces of it. They do grow rather knarly and sometimes their limbs get in the way when working out in the yard so I HAVE trimmed them with no ill effects.

As for your question about what to do with all the seeds you have, my suggestion is for YOU to decide what may be best. There are some choices like keeping some indoors, some outdoor. Some in the shade, some in the sun. Part of getting comfy in the hobby of growing things is to make decisions or best guesses as to what may work best and just wait and see what happens.

Sleep on it tonite and decide in the morning, then do what ever it is you think is best. Then, for the future, remember what worked the best and repeat that process in the future.

I sure hope these seeds start to grow.

As Cindee suggested, plant some other seeds as well and see how fast they grow. Perhaps your parents have some dry beans or peas in the pantry. Ask for a few of them and plant them and wait for them to sprout.

Have fun deciding what to do. You are in charge of the seeds, make em grow!

Tony

• dghays
    16 years ago

They germinate just fine in the soil, I have a small yellow fruited variety going right now, about 2" tall. Sounds like you did a good job with preparing the seeds. Some should probably pop up in less than a couple weeks. I have a larger magenta fruited one a friend grew from seed.

Gary

• katkin_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Meiyi, I just wanted to say Welcome too. The Dragon Fruit grows on a vine like cactus, it isn't really a tree. After it gets going it will probably need a trellis of some sort to support it. If you do a search on dragon fruit you'll find all kinds of info on it. ;o)

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

I didn't know germinating seeds from the pitaya was that easy.
    Now I wish I had saved some from the one Tony had here.

Meiyi, you've probably already done your research, but here's a link I found about starting these seeds.
    I'll bet there is someone nearby Clearwater (possibly a Garden Webber) who might give you a cutting of a good variety too. They grow so fast during the summer.
    But since you know the one you have already is good, by all means grow them. Then we'll all be begging you for one later on.
    Good luck with the seedlings!

Treefrog

Here is a link that might be useful: Dragon fruit from seeds

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

TreeFrog,

I have some seeds if you like. It would be a noid ya know. I do know they are grown here in Orlando though.

I am waiting to see how long it takes to see some activity with the seeds in water.

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

I think Lisa said she was starting some.
    Wonder how they're doing.

Noid or not, that was a really great fruit!

• meiyi
    16 years ago

Oh wow, so many support. You guys wake up so early. If this doesn't work in a few weeks, I dont think I'll have anymore seeds to go on. My mom keeps telling me it'll be easier to just ask someone for a part of thiers but whats the fun in that? Mom's support is little....
    Anyways, I just planted them about 10 mins ago. I'm worried if I might of plant them too high or too low into my pot. Man, it's hot out there right now.
    Mmm...yah, I have to help my mom with the vietnamese dessert in the kitchen. I'll check in later.

Thanks Treefrog for the site. I really did look but a lot of places for infomation. There was even some that wanted me to buy something if I wanted to read on.

• gcmastiffs
    16 years ago

David, the seeds I started have already begun coming up! They are adorable, tiny, dainty babies that look nothing like cactus at this stage. I just smooshed the last remnant of Tony's fruit that I had left, added a little water, and poured the water/seeds/fruit mush onto potting soil. Then I covered the seeds with a sprinkling of soil. I've watered it maybe 3 times since then. The pot is outside, on a shelf, where it gets lots of heat and light. I went out today to cover the pot with plastic wrap to make them sprout, but they had already started!

But the Cashew and Canistel seeds have not sprouted, even though I planted them earlier.

Lisa

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Lisa Thanks for the report. I will be planting some seeds directly in the soil now.

Do you have any hunch which type it may be? The place I got em from has no clue.

Tony

• cindeea
    16 years ago

meiyi, when ya get to be our ages, you get up with chickens because you want to enjoy every minute of the day you can early mornings in the garden before it gets too hot. I would be so very happy to share some other plant seed with you if you would like. You, or your mom, can email me at cindeeaddessi@aol.com with your address so I can send you some more stuff to try. Does your Mom have a reastaurant? You mentioned the vietnamese dessert in the kitchen-what are you making? We love to plant but we also love to eat!!

• meiyi
    16 years ago

Okay, I've just covered them with plastic rap. Like food plastic rap. Will that be good enough?

• gcmastiffs
    16 years ago

Tony, I'm guessing the fruits you bought were either Harpua
    or Vietnamese Jaina. Those two look the closest in size and description, to me.

What do you think?

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Dragon fruit viewer

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Don't put them in the sun with plastic wrap over them, they'll bake. It's just to keep the humidity high.
    As Lisa said, hers sprouted on their own.
    They just need heat and humidity, of which we seem to have plenty right now.
    I'd leave some openings for a bit of airflow, so they won't stay too wet and "damp off".

• meiyi
    16 years ago

Cindeea,
    Thats funny you ask that. My mom works at a Japanese resturant that my uncle owns. She's the head waitress, or so you can say. We we're making..umm how sould I say it? It's called Che`, I think thats how you spell it. It sweet and it has some round balls that are chewy. Some of them have a bean paste flavor in them. Though we didn't put any bean paste in them because we didn't have any on us. It's tastes better if you add a little(teaspoon or two) of coconut milk and mix it to eat.
    Uhmm, if I'm leading you to think I'm veitnamese, I'm sorry. Haha, I'm really chinese.

TreeFrog,
    Thanks for letting me know, I just moved them out of the sun.

• meiyi
    16 years ago

I was wondering if I should water them? or should I just leave it sitting there with plastic over it and wait to see it it grows?

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

I'd just keep them humid, Meiyi.
    If the top of the soil dries out you should water lightly, maybe with a spray bottle.
    Keep us posted!

• meiyi
    16 years ago

Just now i went outside to check on my pots. One of them I saw tiny green in it. I am wondering if it's the dragon fruit or weed. I left it be right now. I'm really excited!

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Way to go, meiyi. Keep us posted!

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

High FIVE to you meiyi!

Because you mentioned you see results I went out and checked mine too and sure enough, we have dragon babies starting out there.

Thanks for letting us all know, I would not have guessed they would pop up so fast.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

That is so cool. Can you guys take pics of your results so far?

• luv2growfruit
    16 years ago

hey to all yall dragon fruit lover out there that havin luck with the fruit but im havin a hard time get it to fruit so i dont know what im doin wrong i see the flower but later it just die after like couple of day and i have this plant for so long so if any one out there can help me i would like to thank you cuz i want to c the fruit myself

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

luv2growfruit

I just lost another flower/fruit to be in this last rain storm we just had. I think another fruit is somewhat loose too.

I havent had any make it to fruit yet, mostly imo because of the weather or an animal climbing on it.

I can see fruit drop too if the plant is too young. I have no clue how old it needs to be though.
    I have three more spent flowers on the plant and am hoping it makes it to fruit at least ONCE already.

Good question

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

I was thinkin some more. Perhaps the variety of DF we have is not self-fertile? I know I was out there with a small brush dusting the pollen around to assure results.

I dont know the variety of mine so I cant look it up. If you know yours, check and see if it is self pollinating.

• meiyi
    16 years ago

Wow, I just tried to read that twice and I'm still not sure what you are saying and how to do it..

Tony,
    dose yours look like weed too? its real tiny and I only have one in this pot. If this isn't it I don't think my other two pots will grow (I think I put the seeds too deep in the other soils.)
    I guess I'm really worried if I lose this one sprout.

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Here are a couple of discussions about germinating dragon fruit with some pictures.
    http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12375

Does your seedling look like these?

Here is a link that might be useful: you grow girl

• gcmastiffs
    16 years ago

My DF seedlings are doing very well, with more new ones appearing daily. They sure are cute! My camera won't focus on them, even on macro setting. They are as small as the head of a pin, when they pop up.

Also, I dug around in the pots with Cashew and Canistel seeds, and found that they have opened and sent down a strong root. Yipee!!!

My boss saw Dragonfruits on sale at Whole Foods in PB Gardens this weekend, for $8 each! They were small and shriveled, so he didn't buy any. At that price, everyone should be growing their own!

I have lots of potted ones to share at our next swaps.

Lisa

• leahrenee1
    16 years ago

I ordered some on ebay and they are just rooted seedlings, they are so tiny and grow so slow, right now I have them potted up near a window. I would like to put them outside but an getting conflicting advice on where to put them, ground vs pot, sun vs shade, etc. I did stick a couple of them in the ground in a shady spot then it rained for two days and they died, so I am guessing they need lots of sun and dryer???

• luv2growfruit
    16 years ago

yeah to all the dragon fruit lover out there i need help makin the flower bare the fruit i got all this flower in the vine this dragon fruit i got this tree for like three year and i got all this flower and i think i got the red one from vietnam so please someone help to make the flower bare its fruit and right now i got like 15 bud that about to flower but its been raining every day so that why i think that why the flower been dyin

• gcmastiffs
    16 years ago

Luv2grow, please sign your posts with your first name, so we know how to address you.

You may have a variety that needs a different one (An additional plant nearby) for pollination. Or, your vine/tree may just not be old enough. Have you tried hand-pollinating the flowers with a paintbrush?

Where did you get your plant? Some cacti that look just like Dragonfruit vines, do not produce fruits, only beautiful night-time flowers.

Lisa

• scott_fl_z9
    16 years ago

Is there anyone in the Tampa/Saint Pete area that would be willing to share a dragon fruit cutting with me?

I have a perfect spot for it.

• luv2growfruit
    16 years ago

to lisa
    well i got this cacti from vietnam well one of my family member brought it back and i just took some of it and planted and its been growing for three year i think and it got all this bud on it.its been flowering three time and it just die out but im goin to take a pic of it and post it up and you can tell me its old or its still young
    thank you
    lisa
    this is bon

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

3 years should be good for fruit, but some varieties don't pollinate themselves and need another kind with them ( I've read). Maybe you have to get up there with a little paintbrush and move the pollen around to get it to make fruit? Maybe no bats or night insects around?
    Also I have some cactii that look just like dragonfruit growing in my yard for many years that just flower and never make fruit. Gorgeous in the full moon light, but never a fruit.
    I'm new with these. Just planted them this year.

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Scott in Fl, in less than a month, there will be a swap in the Tampa area. I plan on attending and will be bringing some hopefully rooted cuttings. Others may also.

That might be the easiest way to get one.

• scott_fl_z9
    16 years ago

Thanks Tony!

I just found the post about the swap on Davis Island on Sept. 1st

I don't have much to swap other than banana pubs. I hope someone is interested in them.

Scott

• dghays
    16 years ago

Treefrog and Tony are right, you can try to manually pollinate, but it also might be self-incompatible, meaning a genetically different flower must be open the same night, so cross pollination can occur. Here is a pic I took of my giant Viet variety yesterday. We ate one last night. These taste ok, refreshing but not particularly great. The fruit are large though, just bigger than baseball sized:

{{gwi:898543}}

Gary

• cindeea
    16 years ago

They look great, Gary. You just gave me an idea where to plant the American Beauty you gave me. The bird feeder post Den is putting in by my steps down the side wall will be perfect!! Let us know when you harvest those babies.

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Nice ones.
    How old is that cactus, Gary?
    Trying to get some idea what to expect from mine, planted earlier this year.

• dghays
    16 years ago

TF, it was from a cutting 3 years ago, it fruited last year also.

Gary

• meiyi
    16 years ago

Davis Island on Sept. 1st? I might just check it out! Sounds fun.

I have another question, just last night my mom told me that my uncle that lived in largo has one already growing. I was kinda surprised when i heard that. Though my mom didnt get to much of a good word on the plant. I guess my uncle told her he's been having problems with snakes on his dragon fruit tree. Do you guys have problem with bugs and any kind of pests on your trees?

• dghays
    16 years ago

Meiyi, they are rarely bothered by pests. There must be more to the story of why snakes like his dragonfruit plant. Find out from him how tasty his fruit are, if they aren't, get a cutting from someone who knows how well theirs taste.

Gary

• luv2growfruit
    16 years ago

hey can anyone tell me when to pollinat the dragon fruit is it when it first bloom or i can do it later
    and people tell me that i need another plant to pollinat the dragon fruit that i have. do it got to be and different dragon fruit tree or it can be any tree

bon

• jardinerafloridana
    16 years ago

Tony
    I just got a few cuttings and was wondering where and how to plant them. I appreciate the picture you posted. I will build a tressel for my cuttings and watch them. Is full sun OK? Thanks
    Susana

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Susana,

The cuttings seem to root real easy. Looking at my recent cuttings, the one simply stuck in the ground next to a stake in very full intense sun has already sent up new growth while two other cuttings from the same plant located in a pot and a bright but shadey area show no signs of growth.

Just dig a small hole and place them in and support them with a stake of some sort.
    {{gwi:898546}}

check out them scented geraniums in the background. Its amazing too see them thriving in this heat when I couldnt even keep them alive in the recent past

• luv2growfruit
    16 years ago

hey do any one got cut of the dragon fruit that is not red flesh. i need some cut so that i can pollinate the one i have right now that is about 4 years old and it just bloom more flower like about fifty of them and i can seem to make it bared it fruit i got one must be luckly one and then my dad ate it before it got real big im willing to to buy it from who ever got some cut that is not red flesh one
    and can someone tell me how to put pic into the forum

bon

• vaodiva
    16 years ago

Ooo!! If you're interested, I would love to trade something for a clipping. Here's what I have currently, but it changes all the time. Thanks :)

Here is a link that might be useful: from my garden

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting