SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aharriedmom

True 'Full Sun' Perennials for Very North Florida (I'm begging!)

aharriedmom
11 years ago

I've depended on annuals (mostly) for years. I have a few perennials (liriope grass & three 4 o'clock plants - oddly they don't reseed or offer volunteers), my beloved patch of pass-along lily (here when I moved here in 2006, but only one plant has flowered - and only two years) and a few sold-as annuals that have performed as perennial (dianthus - though sadly they don't reseed).

I generally plant zinnias, marigolds, torenia (well, they plant themselves every year), impatiens, coleus.

I recently decided that I'd like to go with bulbs and perennials. I had a large patch of canna lilies growing in the bottom of one of my pastures so I dug up half of it and planted it around the house. I've bought daylilies. I bought a couple varieties of oriental lilies. Some rain lilies. I just bought a "blue daze" and a blue plumbago (morning sun).

But I'd like some perennial choices that I can plant in my two full sun garden spots. When I say full sun, I mean FULL sun. One is a south-southwest exposure and one is a west-southwest. No shade until about 4pm in one garden and no shade at all after 1pm in the other. Unfortunately, these are the two gardens that people see when they drive up to the house. My best performing garden, on the eastern side is hidden from visitors.

I've Googled and looked at plant catalogs. The problem is that no one seems to truly understand just how brutal our sun is during the summer and things that are advertised as full sun often need afternoon shade. Things that can take the heat often can't take the cold that we can get.

I figure who better to ask than people who have experience with this climate?

So! Please, offer me viable suggestions! I beg you!

Comments (25)