SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

Courtesy of the Town, I Developed a Daylily Bed

littleonefb
15 years ago

Thanks to the town I live in I have a daylily bed that began 28 years ago. They took down a 3/4 dead Norway Spruce before it landed on my house.

What they left was stump to put a whiskey barrel on and a totally empty piece of land on both town and my property that was in dire need of something planted.

A neighbor was kind enough to give me a few perennial plants from her established gardens, some of what are called common "ditch" daylilies. The double ones and I fell in love with their beauty and daylilies themselves.

We edged the area to plant with some hostas. leaving plenty of room to add

new daylilies as time went on. Of course the rest is history. as they say.

one view of the bed with the hostas

different angle

front view of bed with happy returns blooming and the common just starting to bloom

From the beginnings of the bed with those common that have not seemed to spread everywhere, I've managed by pure luck I'm sure to have a bed of daylilies that starts blooming early in June and continues till the frost gets them, with at least a few blooming at all times.

From the beginnings of the common, came the hyperion and a smaller yellow ruffled daylily, both scented. They where overrunning the beds of a new house that she purchased. I was one of the lucky recipients of several fans of each of them.

single common

Double common

ruffled scented yellow

hyperion

As I added new daylilies, I didn't keep track of the names well, so not sure of the following ones that where added.

If anyone has an idea please tell. me

The closes I could find to white was this cream that sometimes has a pinkish tinge to it

A red that was more burgundy than I wanted. Pic doesn't show how burgundy it is

pandora's box was next. not a favorite of mine though

and siloam uri winford, also not a favorite of mine

Red pinocchio is a real bright scarlet red, the red I was looking for. Though again, my camera doesn't show the real red color. It's a real beauty, has enlarged over 5 years from 3 fans to 15 fans and been divided again. It has bloomed with scapes holding a total of 90 buds each year for the past 2 years after dividing it 3 years ago.

Catherine Woodbury was for my mother who passed away before we could give it to her to plant. I planted part the fans in a memorial garden of all her plants we dug from her gardens and moved here, and one remaining fan in with the rest of the daylilies.

Interesting that the color of the flower will depend on how much sunlight is on the bloom during the day.

Less sun and it is more lavender, the more sun the more pinkish it is.

Catherine woodbury in more sun

in less sun

happy returns in the front of the bed, starts blooming the first week in June and goes till the frost ends it around mid to end october

This was supposed to be purple d'oro, but i dont' think it is as it has never rebloomed for me.

The last ones I planted where 3 years ago. Just couldn't resist seeing what I would get from a bag of bare root hybrids in a bag from a big box store. How could I say no to $.25. At worst I got nothing to grow, second best I didn't like them, at best I got something good.

Well, I will never find a bargain like this again, because this is what has bloomed from those bare roots.

I've been able to identify these from the bare roots with some help from members last year

franz hals

rocket city. Just love this one. from a bare root, now it's 10 fans and had a total of 195 buds on it this year. Yup, DH, the math genius and electrical engineer has counted every one of them

I think this is autumn beauty

These I have no idea what they are, but they are beautiful none the less.

A salmon pink

This beautiful gold, accurate color too.

this bicolor one

And this one that bloomed for the first time last year like this with a beautiful pale lavender flower and greenish yellow throat

{{gwi:642101}}

and as was suggested last year, it might bloom this year with a much darker lavender.

Thanks for looking and if you have any idea what the no ID daylilies are, I'd appreciate you letting me know.

Fran

Comments (5)