SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cecropia7

Woodstove questions, need help quick

cecropia7
18 years ago

Hi all, I hope this is the appropriate forum to ask these questions. There's a woodstove for sale in my area, an Appalachian Trailmaster 4N1. It's an older model from 1982. The seller will probably take $100-200 for it and I know the new versions of this model are around $1400. He says it works fine etc. just wants it out of there! I know he has had some trouble selling it through ebay... no interest. Well, I need to drive to him and take a look at it this weekend. It's far enough away so that I only want to drive out once and bring the stove home that day.

So, we don't know stoves. At all really. So what do I look for while I'm there? Obviously I don't want to operate the stove because I don't want it to melt my vehicle... Would there be some structural details I should take a look at? Does anyone know anything about this brand or model? Anything wrong with keeping a stove in non-climate-controlled space over the winter? Any tips in unhooking and moving the stove without getting ash and creosote everywhere?

One more thing... My husband really battles with bloody noses during the winter when the air is dry. I have read that no amount of water left boiling on a stove will get the humidity to a comfortable level; is this true? We are not against humidifiers in principle but a major goal is getting off the grid and the less appliances the better. This is actually why I'm leaning towards a wood stove and not corn... because the corn stove requires an electric fan of some sort to help radiate the heat, so I've read. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for any help,

Kristin in IL

Comments (13)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus