SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tarzan57

Confederate Rose/Hibiscus mutabilis

Tarzan57
10 years ago

Hello to y'all. I bought a very small Confederate Rose (Hibiscus mutabilis) plant about five years ago on eBay and planted in my yard. For whatever reason, up until this year it usually didn't come up until mid-summer. This year, with our increasingly milder winters, it came up in early May. I was so hopeful that it might actually get large enough to actually produce a flower before frost this year. Alas, my hopes were dashed when my son mowed it off to the ground this week even though it was two feet tall and he'd been showed it's location no less than three times in the past few weeks. Aargh!!!

I'd been so looking forward to seeing this thing bloom after seeing giant specimens on Sullivan's Island, SC year ago and finding out that a person about a mile away from me actually up on the side of Bays Mountain here in Kingsport, TN has had a huge specimen plant in a less than sheltered location beside of their house. We're in I think what's been revised to USDA Zone 6B if not 7A and this particular plant doesn't have to come up from the ground each year.

Garden centers in this area are few and far between although one local family chain is exceptional but none of them have heard of this plant nor do they have a source for them. My question is if anyone has any of these beautiful plants and would be willing to part with a couple of 1' cuttings that I'll attempt to root in exchange for either cuttings of the best Hibiscus syriacus (Rose of Sharon) variety, "Diana" that was developed by the USDA or for seeds of the little hibiscus relative which is a form of a dwarf ornamental okra from India called Abelmoschus moschatus 'Red' that I've been growing for many years.

H. syriacus 'Diana' is great in that it has perfectly flat white flowers almost 4" diameter in great abundance all the way until frost and doesn't produce seeds. The flowers' shape is more like a tropical variety as the petals overlap somewhat and the plants themselves develop into a large rounded form as they age. The flowers are never tubular shaped like most of the old varieties and open fully on cloudy days.

I've enjoyed both of those I'd be willing to trade for so many years and take it for granted that most people have never seen either of them. If anyone's interested in a trade or just plain old charity with a cutting or two of their Confederate Rose, I'd really like to hear from you soon. Thanks for having the patience to read my novella! I'm not sure if I've got my settings as they should be as it's been so many years since I've been on here but I can also be contacted at maui4me 'at' charter.net besides responding directly through this forum. I'd really like to have a Confederate Rose flower for me before frost this year!

Comments (15)

Sponsored