SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katlynn719

Fall Flowers

katlynn719
16 years ago

Fall has always been my favorite time of year, and I wanted to share some of the blooms I've been enjoying. My Toad Lilies have been blooming for several weeks. The flowers are rather small, but they are so unusual they always make me stop to take a second look. They are planted along a shady path.

Toad Lily (Tricyrtis hirta)

{{gwi:636138}}

The Hurricane Lilies have just finished blooming and are starting to grow their leaves now. They are truly a care-free bulb, but have not multiplied as fast as I would like. So I decided to buy a few more this year.

Hurricane Lily (Lycoris radiata)

{{gwi:636139}}

I grew a Candelabra Bush from seed this year. My Mom's beautician sent the seed to me with the instructions "plant in spring, you'll love it". Since I didn't know anything about the plant, I stuck it back behind a group of palmetto bushes and under some oaks. Despite these poor conditions, it grew over 7 feet tall and put out flowers for several months. I'm waiting for the seed pods to dry so that I can plant more seed next spring in a prime garden location (never doubt your Mom's beautician).

Candelabra Bush (Senna alata)

{{gwi:636140}}

The Christmas Cassia is just starting to bloom. It is related to the Candelabra bush. The flowers are very bright and it blooms for several months. Here is a picture taken last year.

Christmas Cassia (Senna pendula)

{{gwi:636141}}

My Butterfly Ginger is still blooming. I think they smell like gardenias and they attract sphinx moths by the dozens. I like to watch them feed at dusk... as long as they don't fly to close to me. Although I find them fascinating, they freak me out a little...very strange creatures.

Butterfly Ginger (Hedychium coronarium)

{{gwi:636142}}

Pink Spotted Hawkmoth

{{gwi:636144}}

Another fall favorite is my Confederate Rose bush. When the flowers first open, they are white. But they gradually turn pink and finally become a dark rose color. I check on them several times a day....just to watch the change. This was another gift from my Mom's beautician. Since my Mom isn't able to garden, the beauty shop ladies send me all their pass along plants. They have become my best plant resource...I never know what to expect, but it's always pretty and easy to grow. I'll try to remember to post another pic of the whole bush when it is in full bloom.

Confederate Rose (Hibiscus mutabilis)

{{gwi:636146}}

I'm always on the look-out for more fall bloomers. If you have any that you can recommend, please post!

Kathy

Comments (15)