SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
batmanpez

I need a house herb expert, on mildew, lights, pots, and aphids.

batmanpez
14 years ago

I just bought four plants for my kitchen not a month and a half ago. Since then I've learned a lot about plants, but I'm pretty sure that if I don't learn faster, and find a friendly helpful forum to help me along, that all my plants will die before I get it figured out.

Those are my kitchen plants. We (my roommate and I) quickly realized that they weren't going to get enough sunlight through our kitchen window and bought a hanging light with matching plant bulbs. My plants don't seem to be turning towards the lamp though, and I'm worried that plant lights don't actually feed your plants like I thought they did. Any ideas on that?

My spearmint plant came down with an infestation of (I think, soybean) aphids. I believe I was under watering it and that's why it was weak enough to become infested. Now that I know how much I should be watering it, it's no longer absorbing as much water as it was, and I'm afraid that that's a sign its about to die on me. This is my second spearmint plant, and the second one to get these same aphids. I read somewhere that spearmint plants repel aphids. If that's true, why is my spearmint plant the only plant with aphids? And has anyone ever had an indoor edible plant that they cured of aphids? What did you do?

I bought ladybugs, dropped a few on the plant, and unleashed the remaining 1900-something ladybugs in an outside field. I have three ladybugs that stay with my spearmint plant, but its been about a week and the aphids are still multiplying. I think the ladybugs are just eating my mildew. I've just gone over the plant again with a toothpick and a paper plate because my spearmint plant is so pathetic looking that I have a hard time standing by and waiting to see if the ladybugs alone will work.

That's my rather pathetic looking spearmint plant. I've just sprayed the pot down with Ortho Ecosense Brand Garden Disease Control which is known (according to my local Home Depot gardener guy) to kill the powdery mildew that infected my chocolate mint plant first and then moved onto all the pots. The spray is also supposed to be environmentally friendly and good to use on plants you may want to eat off of later. I'm supposed to spray that onto my plant, and now my pots, about once a week until the mildew disappears. Any opinions on that? Better brands? Better tricks?

I understand the mildew was my fault for spraying the plant leaves with water and I'm now careful to only water the roots, but I'm afraid that since my pot absorbs the water and the plants are indoors at a constant temperature that the mildew will never go away. Not to mention that I'm worried the spray will hurt my plants. I don't understand how a spray meant to kill one form of growth wont kill the plant it's growing on.

Before the disease control spray the tips of my pineapple sage plants were (and are) turning brown and curling in. Anyone know what that's about? I also have a new pattern on one of the leaves. I'm wondering if there's a new bug I should be worried about since it looks like something got in there and ate away haphazardly at the inside of the leaf.

So far it's only on the one leaf, which is why I'm hoping to catch it early.

The only plant I have left is the lemon verbena. That one has brown spots towards the edges of the biggest leaves.

It was only small on one leaf and then started spreading to the others. There are no aphids on any of my plants but the spearmint, and the mildew is only on the chocolate mint and a little on the pineapple sage next to it, which I'm hoping to catch with the spray. The edges of the pineapple sage leaves were turning brown and curling inward before the spray. Any advice anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

Comments (12)