SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maxkaplan5

Harvesting and storing chives

maxkaplan5
11 years ago

Hi all,

I just started my first garden a few days ago. I am growing chives, parsley, and thyme in my windowsill.

Anyways, I have questions about harvesting my chives. They are about 8 inches tall, and drooping over the sides of the pot quite a bit. I've heard that I should trim them down to be about 1.5-2 inches; is that correct? How long will they take to grow back? How do you store your chives once you harvest them, and how long are they edible? I am worried that I won't eat all of the chives before they go bad, so can I just harvest like a third of the plant? It seems like a waste to grow a plant for weeks or months (even though I've only had it less than a week) and then try to consume all the hard work in 2 or 3 days.

When I harvest the chives do I have to use sterile scissors, or does that sort of thing matter? Should I mist the plant with water after I cut it? I know I have a lot of questions, but I am COMPLETELY new to gardening, and no one in my family ever gardened either so I'm pretty much in uncharted territory haha.

Thanks for the help!

Comments (7)