SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19695690

The good and the bad

User
13 years ago

The garden is moving right along with the season and have had some nice surprises, one of which is the tenacity that the tomatoes are hanging on in this oppressive heat. They had started to look a bit ragged but lately have perked back up and are still blooming and setting fruit which does surprise me. The cages are 6 feet tall and guessing the plants are 9 feet. A few pics of them.

The Cantaloupes and cucumbers both a before shot from a couple weeks ago and a shot of the patch todqay. They are coming to the end of the line. There are still a few 2 inch cucumbers and a few that are about harvestable. Both cukes and melons are still blooming as you can see in the picture, though drooping in the noon sun and the vines are about shot. The cantaloupes ended up providing 47 melons so far, there may be another 5-6 out there yet, I picked 35 and the raccoons picked the other 12. You can see in the after

picture how many cucumbers I missed...just could not see them in that dense foliage until the plants started to go down hill and by then they were huge and it was too late

but they return to the soil. The watermelons provided 13 melons, I picked 11 and the coons 2.

Picture of one of the Alphonse Karr(multiplex) clumping bamboo with 4 brand new culms just emerged from the ground. I started with just a few and have propagated them each spring. This spring I took 35 single culm divisions and of those 33 survived including the one in

the picture. I potted them and once established they were moved to the fence line. Eventually there will be about 1000 feet of them one every 5 feet and next spring should

be able to propagate 100-150 or so which will get me close to finished with that multi year project. The pot in the pic is there to be a backstop for the micro sprinkler so

more water hits the young plants root zone and is removed when the rains become dependable.

I pruned the Blueberry plants around June 1. Pruned both the tops and removed some large canes in the cane renewal / rejuvenation process on the older bushes. You

can see in the picture how much it stimulates the bush to produce new canes. In the second BB picture you can see 5 green new canes that have popped out in the last week as well as all of those red bumps which are new canes just emerging from the bush base. Summer pruning encourages the plant to make "bull" shoots that get very large and will grow to 3-4 feet in a matter of weeks. This coming spring they will not produce but the following spring they will be loaded.

A few shots of the peppers which are just now turning red. Both the bells and the cubanelles. The peppers are still blooming and producing many new peppers but the

fungus has come and has to be treated as is the case each summer.

This shot is the other two rows of peppers (and a Matts tomato) that I started when the first set of peppers and the toms were moved outside to harden off.....(only

have so much room under the lights.) They are a unknown type of bell pepper. I had been snapping the peppers off them as they formed so the energy went to the plant sizing up but they are now on their own and loaded with peppers. All of them will be allowed to mature and will be roasted.

A shot of one of the two basil patches as well as a still living and invading cantaloupe vine, the Basil is used by us but mostly for the rabbits. I just trimmed the front row this morning for the rabbits.

Speaking of rabbits even they are miserable in the heat. This bunch just opened their eyes, though in the picture they are all sleeping lol think there were a couple more by the doe so 8 little ones in total, had 3 new litters in the past 10 days. Normally the litters would spend more time in the nest but with this heat they prefer out in the open air even before their eyes open which means I have to place them back in the nest come evening or the doe won't feed them (the doe only nurses them once per day, as a rule at night and if they are not all together some don't get fed).

The Mysore Black Raspberry is STILL blooming, have to love it's long bloom and harvest season as it lasts for months.

This is the Ice Cream banana pup Coffee Mom so kindly gave me this spring, has put out 8 pups in the last couple weeks.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County