SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Tour Carolyn Young's Garden here on Long Island

newyorkrita
15 years ago

Since it is daylily time here on Long Island, there are open gardens and club members only garden tours for the next few weeks. Today was an open garden at Carolyn Young's, one of our Long Island Daylily Club Members. I remember when she stood up at a meeting afew months ago and annouced the open garden date and told us all to come. She said this was the year to see the garden as she was going to downsize starting this year. I am not sure exactly why she scheduled open garden for this weekend as she is only at about 1/3 or less blooming now but that the way it was. She told me today that even 3-4 days ago there was almost nothing and then the daylilies just started to pop.

This was my first experience with seeing an open garden like this were volunteers had come in the day before and removed all the spent bloom. It does really make it look nice.

I took a bunch of garden shots and landscaping views and will just post those first and then some of the flowers that I took pictures of.

Most of the daylilies were those hybridized in the 80's and 90's. The way her markers were done she put the name of the daylily, then hybridizer and date. Thats why I know that piece of information.

{{gwi:891452}}

Out in the garden looking back at the house.

{{gwi:891453}}

{{gwi:891454}}

{{gwi:891455}}

{{gwi:891457}}

{{gwi:891458}}

Lots of Daylilies

{{gwi:891459}}

More Daylilies

{{gwi:891460}}

Bed with lots of yellow.

{{gwi:891461}}

Love Those Eyes. Really loved this daylily, nothing shy about its vibrant color.

{{gwi:891463}}

Love those eyes clump. I just love to do clump shots and this one was so very pretty.

{{gwi:891466}}

STAR WISHES. I loved this one. A big very attention getting flower.

{{gwi:891468}}

MATISSE, a stunning Munson daylily that really caught my attention.

{{gwi:891469}}

Mystical Rainbow. I shot this one because I also have it in my garden, although these blooms were bigger than mine.

{{gwi:891470}}

ORCHID ICE

{{gwi:891472}}

BILL NORRIS. You could see this glowing yellow all the way accross the garden.

{{gwi:891474}}

SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE

{{gwi:891475}}

CHARLES JOHNSON

{{gwi:891476}}

CRAZY FOR YOU

{{gwi:891477}}

ETCHED EYES

{{gwi:891478}}

Tangerine Ice

{{gwi:891479}}

Didn't write down the name of this clump but I thought it was very pretty.

{{gwi:891480}}

ALABAMA JUBILEE. This deep orange was a favorite of most of the visitors. My picture is not very good. The daylily really was striking.

The garden was very private as there were woods all around and as I understand it they cut down and hauled out trees to make the garden. I liked the way they had things set up as there was a very nice gentleman there who was the official greeter and then of course, Carolyn was there walking about the garden answering questions and pointing out varius flowers. Our local news 12 Long Island was out there this morning filming the event.

Comments (10)