SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leira_gw

German chamomile survived the Winter -- why?

leira
14 years ago

Last week I was poking in the herb garden, and found a German chamomile plant that had survived the Winter. This year has certainly not been mild, so that's certainly not the reason.

This isn't the only unusual thing about this particular chamomile. This plant (or probably a small clump of plants) is one that I grew from seed last year. I transplanted it and another small clump into the garden last Spring. Its brother from the same batch of seedling, once its feet hit the soil, grew well and produced prolific blossoms. This guy never grew at all, yet never died, either. It was odd. Now it's survived the Winter, still looking green, and is as healthy as it's ever been (which might not be saying *too* much, since it never got more than an inch high).

My guess now is that German chamomile is called an "annual" because it goes to seed and dies, not because it can't handle the cold -- and that since this little guy never went to seed, it never died.

Has anyone else ever seen anything like this? Any guesses about whether this plant might take off and finally grow normally this year?

Comments (6)