SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bsmith717

Want to share my excitement about heirlooms and seed purchase!

Brandon Smith
10 years ago

This is my first year gardening at home and it has been wonderful. It's a joy to have my 3 year old daughter out in the yard with me tending the veggies, teaching her about nature and all of the fun things gardening has to offer!

I purchased Sapling tomato plants at the beginning of the season, about 5 varieties two of them being heirlooms. Old German and Mr.Stripey. Almost immediately it was apparent that these were different from the Jet star, Better Boy and Parks Improved that I had. The vines grew more irregularly and did not have the explosion in meditative growth the others displayed. Then the others flowered and set fruit a good 3 weeks earlier then the heirlooms also. I was happy to have the earlier fruit but the taste of the Old German and Mr.Stripey were so much more satisfiying (not that the others were bad at all, still much much better than grocery tomatoes).

This led me to search the web for a good source of heirloom seeds for next year. I found a site called amishlandseeds.com. (I haven't received any seeds as I just ordered them a couple days ago, so this is not a review or anything like that). The variety of seeds she offered blew me away and honestly it was hard to keep my order from being far too many for my gardening area! I'm sure I got too many anyway! :)

Here are the varieties I purchased. Any comments are very welcome, even if I made bad decisions,

PLATE DE HAITI TOMATO Seeds
Matt's Wild Cherry Tomato seeds
WOLFORD WONDER Oxheart Tomato Seeds
BEAR CLAW TOMATO seeds
ROYAL HILLBILLY seeds
GLICK'S BRANDYWINE TOMATO seeds
Zapotec Tomato seeds
CHOCOLATE STRIPES TOMATO seeds
Eva's Amish Stripe Tomato seeds
PAUL ROBESON TOMATO Seeds
LISTADA DE GANDIA EGGPLANT seeds
VERNISSAGE PINK TOMATO Seeds