SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
summitgarden

Heirloom Tomatoes - new tomato gardener

summitgarden
15 years ago

Hello,

I am new to growing heirloom tomatoes this year, having grown mainly herbs in the past, and mainly in containers on the deck. Am trying out the following bought as established plants in 8" pots from a quality local nursery:

Lemon Boy

Black Krim

Old German

Green Zebra

I planted all in the ground by digging up the old soil - which was mainly rocks and weeds - in a sunny south to southwest location; putting flower/vegetable soil mixed with an inch of compost, a tablespoon of osmocote, and a bit of bone and blood meal for each plant. Also placed a small heap of composted manure around the top of each plant, after planting. Spaced about 18 inches apart with marigolds planted 6 inches in front and half way between each tomato plant.

I'm strongly opposed to herbicides/chemicals, but would like to keep pests to a minimum, is a floating cover my best bet? And if the plants are only 18 inches from the wall behind them, do I have enough room for that? My primary pest concerns are rabbits and hornworms (although I hear that I may not have to worry about hornworms until next year's crop since nothing was growing in this space last year... is that true?).

Thanks.

Susan

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus