SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irun5k_gw

anyone growing purslane

irun5k
13 years ago

So in this dry summer heat, I've been trying to landscape with stuff that is at least partially drought tolerant. I have no experience with any of these plants, so it is all trial and error. I've already had great luck with Dallas Red lantana this year. Next, the colorful blooms on the purslane at Lowes and the Depot sucked me in. Each plant covered with large, colorful blooms.

Then I started researching purslane and it was all bad press. Basically, everyone calls it out as an invasive weed with a few posts here and there about people who eat it... but not much on using it in a flower garden.

Yesterday I noticed why... my neighbors unmaintained lawn is nothing but a weed garden and I spotted some wild purslane. Tiny leaves and even tinier flowers. However, this is nothing at all like what I bought & planted!

What do you guys think? Are some of the newer cultivars due some respect? The variety I planted, grown by Costa Farms, seems to close up early. Much earlier than 5pm, even in full sun. OTOH, I was really surprised to see them in full bloom this morning, a very overcast day with so direct sun. Supposedly they'll grow asa perennial here in St. Pete.

I'm also wondering if these new cultivars are sterile. While the flowers are attractive, I don't want this stuff popping up anywhere but where I chose to plant it! I contacted Costa Farms, but haven't gotten a response. Would appreciate hearing your experiences.

Comments (14)