SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chocolateis2b8

Kid fun in the garden

chocolateis2b8
18 years ago

Wormfarmer,

You are the one who made me start this thread, I read what you said about the neighbor kids nibbling on your gardens in the bronze fennel thread.

I also enjoy having the neighbor kids over for tasting tours of my gardens. We have so much fun exploring the gardens and finding plants you wouldn't think as edible. Some have been doing it for so long, they even bring their own cream cheese, bread, lunch meat, spreads, dressing, or dips, and make a whole lunch of it. Somedays we'll make a whole picnic out of it, I keep old blankets, and picnic stuff for just such an occassion, as well as a freezer full of icypops. It is just so great to spend the day with kids, acting like a kid, yet still teaching them about gardening at the same time.

They of course know never to eat anything without my ok and I only let them eat what I know is 100 percent safe. Haven't lose a kid yet, lol.

Here's some fun ideas with kids. Get them to try daylily buds. Just make sure it's DAYLILIES and ones you don't mind losing a few blooms off of. Or take daylily flowers and put cream cheese and herbs in them, but I like the buds better. Or roll some hosta leave with cream cheese sprinkled with herbs, dill is my fav, and some lunch meat, now that is my lunch and one of my giants leaves can feed all of us, lol. Nasturgium blooms is a fav of mine, but most kids don't like the peppery flavor. Sometimes we'll make what we call wild salad, dandilion greens, hosta leaves, violet flowers, daylily flowers, squash flowers, rose petals, nasturgium flowers and leaves, sorrel, mint, loveage, whatever is growing at the time plus anything that is ready in the veggie garden. I have one who goes straight to the large patch of chocolate mint to pick a stalk to chew on while we decide what is on the days menu. Another prefers to chew on a stalk of lovage. Yet another heads straight for the rubarb(yes she knows not to eat the leaves, only the stalk).

Being a totally organic gardener, we are able to eat right out of the gardens, just a quick rince from the hose to remove bugs and dirt.

I also have them go on a smelling tour of the gardens, let them rub the various herbs, I sure send them home smelling great, lol.

And at the end of it all, they all go home with a bunch of flowers to give Mom.

There is more I do with kids in my gardens, but I mostly started this thread to see if there are any others out there that do the same. To me, my gardens are to be enjoyed and who better to enjoy them with than a child?

Comments (2)