SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Dogs in my garden, diamonds in yours.

newyorkrita
15 years ago

This recent thing of my digging up my AWESOME BLOSSOMS and CHOCOLATE CHERRY DREAMS had me thinking about how a daylily can be such a dog, dog, dog in one place and a star of the garden in another.

I doesn't even have to be that far away either. For instance Francois Verhaert, which almost never fully opens for me, looks great and never has any problems in a local garden less than 20 minutes from me that I visited on this years garden tours. And you can be sure that I asked if it ever had any problems. The garden owner looked puzzelled when I asked if it had problems opening, as if he couldn't immagine that happening. So my dog is a diamond 20 minutes down the road. Go figgure.

So if a daylily has problems, garden conditions are mentioned. Like when I was complaining about the problems opening I got asked about how much sun it gets and such. Well, there is plenty of sun for everything planted around it to open so I can't blame doggyness on location. Although Bill Maryott did advise me to move every daylily that is doing poorly or I am having problems with. Under the theory that sometimes a particular daylily just does not like a certain spot even though there seems to be nothing wrong with that spot. Who knows, it might work. I know on the rose forum it is always suggested with any rose that just isn't doing well for no apparent reason to move it to a different spot. It is quite surprising how many times this results in the rose thriving in the new spot.

Comments (11)