SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canokie

Could my garden have made my dog sick?

Shelley Smith
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

Last night I had to take my dog to the animal hospital because she had been throwing up for hours and then started taking short, fast breaths and shivering. Right when we got to the hospital she had a very bad bout of bloody diarrhea all over the waiting room floor. I thought she was a goner but the vet said her vitals and blood work were ok and that she probably ate a bug or something else that didn't agree with her. He gave her 5 shots and sent her home with antibiotics. She was so weak I had to carry her to the car. Spent a long night checking her often to make sure she was still breathing. However, she is doing better this morning and drank some water and walked around a bit, just tired and weak still. Naturally I did a search of the back yard to see what she could have gotten into out there that made her so sick, but didn't find much. My backyard is pretty small and surrounded by a 6 foot wooden privacy fence. I have a garden in one corner with a chain link fence around it, but of course the tomatoes are growing out through the fence and everywhere else at this point. The only thing my morning patrol turned up was a cherry tomato that had been mostly eaten and then spit out.

Do you think eating some cherry tomatoes would have made her so sick? Or maybe she ate some of the leaves or stems too? There's not much else she could have reached through the fence, just a few beans and morning glory.

Just wondering if anyone here has any ideas..... thank you.

Shelley

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting