SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
choppersmom

first time cutting a gourd - blades? dust? stain?

choppersmom
19 years ago

Hi -

I am new to carving and cutting goards, but not to goard growing! I have a dozen or so dry goards that I grew several years ago to use for decorations. I've tried a few things, like painting with acrylics, (paint just peeled off) but I've seen these lovely deep looking stains, so I think I will try some colored wood stain I have, and maybe leather stain.. where do I get that? A few things I've read say that you need a respirator because the gourd has some mold etc.. is that necessary? I have no allergies or asthma... the main question, can I use a scroll saw blade to cut by hand? I saw these gourds carved like jack o lanterns, and that is what I'd like to try. I see some of you using pumpkin carver blades.. .are you talking about those cheap plastic and metal ones you get in a childs carving kit? are they sharp enough? I don't really want to invest in expensive tools and respirators until I see if I like doing this... I've had great luck growing these things, but now what do I do???? :)

Comments (8)

Sponsored